My midwife really pissed me off today... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-23-2006, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK so maybe I am a little hormonal but seriously she pissed me off. She walked into the room and jokingly said "so they told you that you are having twins right?" I responded "well I sure feel like I am having twins but I'm not" (laughing) Then she says "I have never met anyone who is so done being pregnant" OK so that pissed me off. Yes I am done. I am so done because I am in constant pain every single day. I am not being a complainer and I am not overreacting. I cannot move without being in pain. So anyway, then I ask her when I can be induced. I don't want to be induced but I need to know that I have that option. I know this probabily sounds insane but I just need to know because it will motivate me to go on and stick it out until Meadow decides to come on her own. I just NEED to know that I have the option. Does that make any sense? Anyhow, she tells me that she will not induce me until my due date which technically by my LMP is December 12th however I know when I had sex and I know when I ovulated so I KNOW that my due date is a week earlier. She also said she will not induce me until I am dialated at least a little. Again I don't want to be induced but I need to know that I don't have to wait until Dec 12th!!!!! Then she said that if my water breaks I should stay at home for a few hours to see if labor progresses. I reminded her that I am GBS+ and that last time when my water broke I pushed my daughter out an hour later!!! She then said "oh yeah so I guess you should probably go right in to L&D." UGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Ok so I probably sound insane but it all makes me feel insane!!!! I am really starting to dislike my Midwife and that really upsets me because I need to feel like I trust this woman but right now I don't even want to look at her!!

Amy:

Amy praying.gifbfinfant.gifslinggirl.gif familybed2.gif saynovax.gifsewmachine.gif crochetsmilie.gifWAHM to energy.gifElle 3/2/2004, joy.gifMeadow 12/02/2006, bouncy.gifAzaliah 4/09/2009, and baby.gif Olive 09/23/2011. I have been partners.gif married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2006, 04:15 AM

I'm sorry. I don't know what else really to say. That sucks.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:12 PM

Sorry you are so frustrated with her. She shouldn't be so, what's the word, snarky? unsympathetic? towards you. Her job is to support you, not make you feel worse. I'd be so frustrated too!!

Try to hang in there!! I hate saying it, bit it won't be much longer now!! I know that probably doesn't help any, but glad you can get your frustations out here. 's to you Amy!!

Old 11-23-2006, 01:19 PM

Awwww Time for a nap maybe Or else a massage! Tell Bill!

She shouldn't tease you like that knowing you're feeling rotten.

It'll be over before you know it, Amy! It's so close!
Old 11-23-2006, 08:15 PM

I am just starting to get into the Perpetual Pain Cycle and I have to say... IT SUUUUUUUUUCCKKKKKKKS!!!!!!!

Does anyone else's GROIN hurt??? I feel like I've been riding horses bareback every day for the past week! :

Anyways! I definitely think she should be more sympathetic to your pain problems. From EVERYONE I have spoken to, the last little bit of pregnancy ranges from extremely uncomfortable to outright painful and there is no way that you don't deserve to vent about it and be *heard.* But... trying to be an optimist here and assuming you liked this woman before today... maybe she was trying to make a little joke and it just flopped? I hope so!

As for the induction thing... I can kind of see her point in that you don't want to induce too soon, as that might set you up for bigger problems and complications. DEFINITELY don't want that. But I would hate it if my MW wouldn't listen to me about my dates. That would irritate me to no end. To be fair, though, I bet the majority of people they deal with really have no idea about it! But still!!!!!

My MW wrote my weight down wrong the first time I went in and EVERY single time we talk about my weight I correct her. Why won't she just change it on the frickin' chart? Why would I lie? Like I'm some teensy girl without those 8 pounds.

Anyways I do understand that annoyance. GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

But... hopefully you have faith in her midwifery abilities moreso than in her office and chit chat abilities! And you are ALMOST DONE!

Anyone else just want to get into a pool of nice warm water and float until the baby comes out????
Old 11-23-2006, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypixels View Post
Anyone else just want to get into a pool of nice warm water and float until the baby comes out????
Oooh, me, me!!! Sounds lovely.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:22 PM

Hang in there, hon. Sorry it wasn't the best of appt's. Hopefully she'll make up for it at your next one.

Shannon
Old 11-23-2006, 10:29 PM

will she be with you when you deliver? it just doesnt sound like the two of you are in a secure enough place right now for her to be the right person for you.

i hope you either manage to work this through with her or have somebody else with you at your birth.

Old 11-24-2006, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much everyone

I still feel annoyed about the whole situation. I will see how my appointment goes next week and if she makes me feel the same way I will tell her straight out that I don't feel like she is being supportive. Since I am giving birth in the hospital and it is a teaching hospital there should be plenty on other people there when I am giving birth so it should be ok. I really did like her up until my last few appointments (she made a negative comment about my weight the one time and then again at the appointment before this one she was not all that supportive). So we'll see how it goes. I honestly think that if I were not so close I would be seriously consider going back to my OB.

Amy

Amy praying.gifbfinfant.gifslinggirl.gif familybed2.gif saynovax.gifsewmachine.gif crochetsmilie.gifWAHM to energy.gifElle 3/2/2004, joy.gifMeadow 12/02/2006, bouncy.gifAzaliah 4/09/2009, and baby.gif Olive 09/23/2011. I have been partners.gif married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....

Old 11-24-2006, 02:51 AM

I'm sorry she had such bad bedside manner with you. I HATE when professionals try to invalidate your feelings like that.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:14 PM

Amy,

Your midwife ought to take "bedside manner" refresher courses along with one of the midwives at my doctor's practice.

Her conversation with me as she was adjusting the belly band for my third NST (which I seem to get every time I go in nowadays because of my occasional high blood pressure):

Her: Soooooo...you're having a girl! What are you naming her?

Me: Maia

Her: <wincing as if she just consumed lemon juice concentrate right out of the bottle>...Oooooo...My husband would have never gone for that....Because of the meaning.

Me: <perplexed because as far as I know, "Maia" doesn't have any questionable meaning> How do you mean?

Her: <pausing for effect>...Well...It means, "BIIIIIG TROUBLE!"

Me: No, actually it comes from Greek Mythology, and it's the name of the goddess of spring. The word "May" comes from the same stem.

Her: Oh, I like the name "May" but it's so horribly old-fashioned!

I had this woman pegged as a flake many months ago, and she keeps proving me right. Sadly, if she's on call when I deliver, that's who I'm getting.

User Tag List