My midwife has me a little worried. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-23-2006, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nothing serious.

I had an appointment yesterday, everything is just fine. I'm 37w5d. The baby is very low and my cervix is very soft and has started to dilate some.

So I decided to ask my midwife if she would venture a guess as to the size of the baby. She says "sure, I'm pretty accurate with this." I think, cool, just for giggles, you know, it would be neat to see what she thinks. So she feels around for a minute and says "I'm gonna go with 7lbs12oz" I said "right now?! or that's what you would guess for at my due date?" "right now" she says very casually.

Um, okay, I know I birthed dd#2 with no problem and she was 8lbs4oz but she was also born at 42 weeks. She says "you're gonna do just fine, don't worry about it."

I of course realize that I'll be fine, it was just totally not what I was expecting to hear!

"I got 99 problems, but the truth ain't one." - Stephen Colbert
#2 of 7 Old 11-23-2006, 03:17 PM

FWIW - my 8lb12oz, 40-week baby was BY FAR an easier and more pleasant labour and birth than my 7lb8oz, 38-week baby was. They were both the exact same length even.

Big babies are "fat" babies - and fat is squishy - gives padding to the baby so it's not all angles and bones.

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#3 of 7 Old 11-23-2006, 03:43 PM

LizaBear, I like the sounds of that All my girlfriends tell me my wish for an over-8lb baby is crazy. They've all had high 8s and 9s, and they think the reason I like birthing naturally is because my babies have been smallish It's kind of degrading, actually...I keep getting told that it must be 'so much easier' for me. Um, well, it's still a baby coming out of my vagina, right? I just want to birth a bigger baby to stick it to 'em!

Miranda, it's great that your body is getting ready for labor!! You can totally do it!
#4 of 7 Old 11-23-2006, 04:24 PM

I heard a good bit of wisdom from a mama whose first baby was born just under 6 lbs. Another pregnant mama (around 36 weeks) was complaining that she just wanted her baby out. The small baby mama explained how difficult it was for her to put weight on her small baby after birth. In utero those little guys gain it like crazy!

It's just one mama's antecdote but it sounded wise to me.
#5 of 7 Old 11-23-2006, 07:17 PM

Fat is squishy Plus, I bet part of this is that a baby with more fat is, yanno, padded... so you feel the padding moving down through you, vs. the bony bits. Does that make sense?

I hope I said that without in any way being offensive to mamas of smaller babies, all our babies are beautiful!!!!

I have a feeling mine is going to be... *ahem* on the squishy side So I'm reassuring myself here too!!!!
#6 of 7 Old 11-23-2006, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypixels View Post
I hope I said that without in any way being offensive to mamas of smaller babies, all our babies are beautiful!!!!

I have a feeling mine is going to be... *ahem* on the squishy side So I'm reassuring myself here too!!!!
You and I both. I'm starting to tell people that I think I'm going to have twin 13-foot long octopus babies !

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#7 of 7 Old 11-23-2006, 09:17 PM

It's more the size of the babe's head & broadness of his/her shoulders that would be of concern to me. A baby that's 7 lbs. isn't much different than squeezing out a baby that's 10 lbs if the head is the same circumference. Fat squishes, bone....well, not so much.

Don't freak out about it. You'll do just fine.

Shannon

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page