Green poop from breastmilk? (x-posted in breastfeeding) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 9 Old 12-15-2006, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter
 
TesalynsMommy04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So over the past 2 days, my ds' poop has gone from yellow to green. It's still extreamly loose like breastfed babies poop is supposed to be, and still seedy, but it is green??? My DH is worried that the baby is sick, and I'm sure that it's nothing. I haven't changed anything in my diet, any ideas or is this normal? Thanks!
TesalynsMommy04 is offline  
#2 of 9 Old 12-15-2006, 01:51 AM
 
carmel23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 5,218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TesalynsMommy04 View Post
So over the past 2 days, my ds' poop has gone from yellow to green. It's still extreamly loose like breastfed babies poop is supposed to be, and still seedy, but it is green??? My DH is worried that the baby is sick, and I'm sure that it's nothing. I haven't changed anything in my diet, any ideas or is this normal? Thanks!
My babies have experienced this as well and although it is weird, there is nothing wrong with the baby--I've heard it is caused from lots of iron in the mama's diet (are you taking iron vitamins? or a prenatal?)--

I think as long as baby doesn't have a fever or seem out of it, and as long as baby continues to have regular bm's, I'd not worry about it... but of course it is always good to ask the peditatrican if it makes you feel better (I know I called a lot with my first son--that is what they are there for!)

 hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif
 

carmel23 is offline  
#3 of 9 Old 12-15-2006, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter
 
TesalynsMommy04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel23 View Post
My babies have experienced this as well and although it is weird, there is nothing wrong with the baby--I've heard it is caused from lots of iron in the mama's diet (are you taking iron vitamins? or a prenatal?)--
Yeah actually I'm still taking my prenatal. I didn't even think that the 2 would be related. Thanks! I'll call the ped tomorrow just to make sure!
TesalynsMommy04 is offline  
#4 of 9 Old 12-15-2006, 02:30 AM
 
autumn_faune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 913
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
is it at all bubbly or frothy? because frothy and green can be caused by a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, I had that with dd. I had to nurse only on one side for a couple feedings at a time before switching, so she would get more hindmilk.
autumn_faune is offline  
#5 of 9 Old 12-15-2006, 10:47 AM
 
*~Danielle~*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son had green poop and what looked like seaweed in it. It started out as perfect yellow seedy breastfed poop, but then I had a really bad uti and had to take antibiotics and after that his poop was green and seaweedy. It stayed that way until he started on some solids at 12 months old. All babies poop is different and many things can cause changes, but one thing is sure, not all babies keep that yellow seedy poop.

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

*~Danielle~* is offline  
#6 of 9 Old 12-15-2006, 12:15 PM
 
paxye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 2,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumn_faune View Post
is it at all bubbly or frothy? because frothy and green can be caused by a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, I had that with dd. I had to nurse only on one side for a couple feedings at a time before switching, so she would get more hindmilk.
that is what I would suggest doing... it is most often the cause...

 
~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
paxye is offline  
#7 of 9 Old 12-15-2006, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
 
TesalynsMommy04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxye View Post
that is what I would suggest doing... it is most often the cause...
OK so how can I tell when he's getting the hindmilk? One of my nursing friends said that when I feel the tingly letdown sensation, that's the hindmilk. I get that after about 5 minutes of nursing, then he'll nurse for about 15-20 minutes a side. I know he's gaining weight cuz he gained 10 oz in a week between 1 and 2 weeks after he was born.... I'm sorry if I'm acting stupid about this whole thing, I've never breastfeed and been so committed to it before, my dd needed to be supplemented with formula and ended up preffering the formula more than the breastmilk. His poop isn't really "frothy" as much as it is like water with chunks. TMI I know but.... I just really want to be able to breastfeed and feel like I'm doing something wrong by him not getting the hindmilk??? Am I doing something wrong??
TesalynsMommy04 is offline  
#8 of 9 Old 12-15-2006, 03:06 PM
 
paxye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 2,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TesalynsMommy04 View Post
OK so how can I tell when he's getting the hindmilk? One of my nursing friends said that when I feel the tingly letdown sensation, that's the hindmilk. I get that after about 5 minutes of nursing, then he'll nurse for about 15-20 minutes a side. I know he's gaining weight cuz he gained 10 oz in a week between 1 and 2 weeks after he was born.... I'm sorry if I'm acting stupid about this whole thing, I've never breastfeed and been so committed to it before, my dd needed to be supplemented with formula and ended up preffering the formula more than the breastmilk. His poop isn't really "frothy" as much as it is like water with chunks. TMI I know but.... I just really want to be able to breastfeed and feel like I'm doing something wrong by him not getting the hindmilk??? Am I doing something wrong??

block feeding would be the best thing to try... nurse on the same breast for 2 feedings and then switch and do the other breast for the next two and so on...
That tingly letdown feeling is exactly that... letdown... it has nothing to do with foremilk and hindmilk... First try block feeding for a few days and see if things start to change... make sure that you are not switching breasts often.If that doesn't work then other things could be looked at... diet etc..

Also, with your dd she probably didn't prefer Formula, I don't think that any baby would prefer Formula... but she did probably had a bit of nipple confusion and had trouble going back to the breast which happens WAY too often... there is a BIG difference..

 
~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
paxye is offline  
#9 of 9 Old 12-15-2006, 07:07 PM
 
amyandelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Meadow's poop has also turned green but she is sick She has a bad cold.

Amy:

Amy praying.gifbfinfant.gifslinggirl.gif familybed2.gif saynovax.gifsewmachine.gif crochetsmilie.gifWAHM to energy.gifElle 3/2/2004, joy.gifMeadow 12/02/2006, bouncy.gifAzaliah 4/09/2009, and baby.gif Olive 09/23/2011. I have been partners.gif married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....

amyandelle is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off