Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   December 2006 (http://www.mothering.com/forum/359-december-2006/)
-   -   Would you induce? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/359-december-2006/583632-would-you-induce.html)

prettypixels 12-28-2006 01:02 AM

If so, when?

I'm not talking about the herbal stuff.... I'm talking about the big guns in hospital. I'm *very* apprehensive about the idea of going over 42 wks (which is Friday for me) and would love to hear what some of the other still-pregnant-mamas are thinking about this. (I'm apprehensive due to risks of stillbirth, etc, increasing after 42 wks... *not* because of my care provider.)

lifescholar 12-28-2006 01:26 AM

I have totally been there!!

My son was due July 9th, 2005. I was admitted for induction at 41 wks 3 days, and gave birth to him on July 22, at 41 wks 6 days.

My decision to go ahead with an induction was based on the knowledge that I acquired about the risks of being over 42 weeks, as well as my intuition. I felt very in tune with my baby, and I felt that he needed to come out.

When he was born, he was a bit dehydrated, and I am convinced that he should have weighed more than he did. He was incredibly skinny, and was pretty much starving for the first couple of days.

I didn't see the placenta, and I wish that I had, because it would have given me an even clearer sense of what the situation was.

If my body had been showing any signs of imminent labour (other than having painless Braxton Hicks every 8-15 minutes for 8 days straight!), I wouldn't have done it, but my cervix was barely even starting to soften, so I felt that it was time to get things moving.

Trust yourself. Request the least intervention needed. If a gel will work, then great. If you end up on oxytocin, request that it be turned down or off at some point, to see if your body will continue to labour on its own.

Most of all, don't feel guilty about it. Having a natural labour was very important to me, but having a healthy baby was the MOST important thing. I may have suffered from having such a difficult, medical labour, but in the long run, I think I did the right thing for my son, and that's all that matters.

Sending you HUGE labour vibes, so that this will happen naturally, but if not, I wish you the best possible induction!!

steffanie3 12-28-2006 02:07 AM

I wouldn't, but I am going for a VBAC so it is advised against.

autumn_faune 12-28-2006 02:36 AM

I'm at 41w5d now, so right there with ya. I wouldn't, but I'm giving some serious consideration to cimifuga and caulophyllum, possibly even membrane stripping. However, I also know the women in my family tend to "cook em long"... always right around the 42w mark. DD was actually 43w5d. But I never felt the need for her to be out like I do this time.... I don't know what I'll do. Probably try to talk dh into taking me to town tomorrow for eggplant parmigiana to see if that won't work.

prettypixels 12-28-2006 03:03 AM

Autumn, we were out on the town tonight in search of eggplant parmigiana! Shouldn't be so difficult except every where was CRAZY with post-holiday crowds. Finally found some but it was pretty awful...

I think I'd go completely bonkers if I tried to wait until 43w!

swampwitch 12-28-2006 03:14 AM

Jumping in from new posts to say that I had an induction in October due to a medical indication of potential complication. I have a very low-intervention OB (she's a MW in a white coat) so when she explained what the deal was, I trusted that she was sincerely looking out for our health. All that to say, I was induced with cervadil b/c there was nothing going on with the cervix. After nearly 12 hours and no progression for 4 hours, we started pitocin. It certainly intensified the contractions, but I still went no meds. Anywho, just wanted to offer a "you can do it!" if you do decide to induce. I was pissed and scared when I was told we needed to induce, thinking that my hope for a natural childbirth was crushed. Nope, just redirected. I ended up laboring at the hospital instead of at home.

ETA: I was 41 weeks and a day.

prettypixels 12-28-2006 03:16 AM

Lifescholar, thanks for a great post. I really appreciate it, and I agree... a natural homebirth is so important to me, but making sure baby and I are ok takes priority over that.

Hopefully she'll come on out tonight or tomorrow before I have to go in for my next monitoring session...the increased monitoring is *driving me batty* and making me very nervous and tense. I'm glad for it on the one hand but.. well I just wish this little one would come on out and say hi!

mlh 12-28-2006 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffanie3 View Post
I wouldn't, but I am going for a VBAC so it is advised against.
steffanie, why do they advise against it? i am going for a vbac also. just wondering what the medical reason is for not inducing if you have had a previous ceserean section.
thanks

ndunn 12-28-2006 04:31 PM

I would avoid alot of poking and prodding from the hospital...personally it would make me more stressed out, know what I mean?

Anyway, are you sure of your dates? That would be one thing I would talk about first before ever considering induction.

mary3mama 12-28-2006 04:38 PM

My 1st son was a c/s; my second son was my VBAC. My labor was augmented via pitocin and the whole hospital interventionist route. Would I do it again, maybe not, but it was 'where' I was then -- more than 3 years ago and only 13 months after the loss of my 2nd pregnancy at 21 weeks; so I was vulnerable and scared and emotionally very raw.

My daughter (16 days old now) was my 2nd VBAC and my first homebirth. Thankfully all was well and she was born at exactly 39 weeks, so we never had to start thinking about anything further.

Caulophyllum and Cimifuga, taken alternately, can be a way to tone the uterus in preparation for labor -- or can get labor started if one is already ripe. There are other remedies, such as Pulsatilla, for a labor that is starting and stopping. There are others as well, but I wouldn't take any of them without consulting a homeopath or at least a homeopathy-friendly midwife.

steffanie3 12-28-2006 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
steffanie, why do they advise against it? i am going for a vbac also. just wondering what the medical reason is for not inducing if you have had a previous ceserean section.
thanks
The potential for rupture raises, I think because of the extra stress and intensity.

prettypixels 12-28-2006 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndunn View Post
I would avoid alot of poking and prodding from the hospital...personally it would make me more stressed out, know what I mean?

Anyway, are you sure of your dates? That would be one thing I would talk about first before ever considering induction.
Yes, I'm positive of my dates, and have measured exactly right throughout.

Poking and prodding in hospital is exactly why my *choice* is to birth at home. But my BIGGER choice is healthy baby... and at some point my body won't be the best home for this baby anymore.

Right now I'm happy to keep trying at least through the weekend, but if I'm still pregnant on Monday... *sigh*

Come on out, baby!!!!!!

lifescholar 12-28-2006 11:56 PM

Good luck!! Have you tried the teas yet?? Those were the one thing I didn't try (well, besides sex, only because I was single! lol), and now I wish I had!

Hope to hear good news soon!

Twilight 12-29-2006 12:55 AM

I might go ahead and induce, based on my own history. DD1 was born at 40w 4d and her placenta was already starting to calcify and show signs of age. Knowing that, I'd be uncomfortable with one of my pregnancies going to 42w. I think different women handle going "overdue" differently. Ask an OB for some tests for the baby's well-being... an ultrasound and a non-stress test come to mind, but there might be others... and maybe reassuring results will tell you that you can hold out a bit longer.

I hope yours comes out soon so you don't even need to make the choice! it's a tough one, isn't it? You want to do the right thing for the baby, above all, but it's very hard to know what that is.

Fuamami 12-29-2006 03:16 AM

Hey Prettypixels, don't know if you're still here, but have you tried castor oil? I've heard people on here say that it can cause uterine rupture, but I've never found any research to back that up. You might be able to, I know you're a researcher!

Anyway, I've used it with both of my previous pregnancies. I took it with my dd because I was just antsy, and it seemed to work, and I took it with my ds because my grandmother was dying and I wanted my mom to be able to be with me to help me, but she needed to go to her mom. Both times, I had a baby in my arms within 24 hours. I have a special recipe if you want more info.

my_baby_love 12-29-2006 05:09 AM

I just wanted to add that you might want to look into acupressure or acupuncture too. In our childbirth class, the teacher (a doula) said that she'd never known anyone to try acupuncture who didn't go into labor within 24 hours. I know I was able to find the acupressure points just by doing a search online and maybe your dh/dp could even massage some of them for you since I think they are around the ankles. Good luck and I hope you don't have to make a decision about medical induction. I'm sending labor vibes your way!

paradoxia13 12-29-2006 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2beamama View Post
In our childbirth class, the teacher (a doula) said that she'd never known anyone to try acupuncture who didn't go into labor within 24 hours.
I wish that were true for me! I had acupuncture on Tuesday, and on Wednesday to get this labor started, and I'm still sitting here waiting on Thursday. :

~heather

roadfamily6now 12-29-2006 07:33 AM

I would never induce. Just my personal choice and opinion.

I cook mine long too, and also am a VBAC so inductions are just asking for trouble

sunnmama 12-29-2006 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natensarah View Post
I have a special recipe if you want more info.
Could you post or pm me that recipe?

I am only just 39 wks 5 days.....but I have been diagnosed with GD and my doc is not going to give me a lot of time before pushing inducement. Right now I am 2 cm dilated, and 80% effaced, so he feels I am "ripe". I go in Tuesday (40 wks 2 days) for an ultrasound to check on the baby. I'd love to have the baby before that! He said that, if the ultrasound looked good, he would be comfy waiting another week.....

Never thought I would consider castor oil, but I'm feeling desperate!

prettypixels 12-29-2006 12:56 PM

My MW mentioned castor oil at our appt yesterday. (I *had* actually considered it before... my husband said "Don't do it! People use that as a punishment!" )

Anyways, my MW said, if you do castor oil... "Take a shot of vodka. Then do a shot of castor oil. Then another shot of vodka. When you wake up, you'll be in active labor!" !

OK, I thought that was hilarious!

But I still might try it! Be glad to see your recipe natensarah

She did strip my membranes yesterday and stretched me to 3cm dilated. I'm 100% effaced! So we are on our way, just... going... very... slowwwwwly! :

I also found out last night that if I were to go to hospital, I don't think I'd be allowed to labor at all.... as I had a sonogram which guesstimated baby weight at 10lbs, they'd go straight to c-section without passing go. : I don't think the baby is actually that big anyways (neither does the MW based on head size, body size, etc), but that is very very annoying. I'd rather do castor oil than a c-section!

kalisis 12-29-2006 02:15 PM

Someone told me you don't have to actually ingest the castor oil - you can just warm it a bit and rub it on your belly. I have no personal experience with it, but it sounds much friendlier than having to drink the stuff.

To answer the question tho, for me personally, I don't think I would ever go to the hospital for induction. I'd have to be having some really scary thoughts for that to happen; but that's just me. I see a lot of mama's points here, though and can understand why you would choose to go that route.

Fuamami 12-30-2006 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnmama View Post
Could you post or pm me that recipe?
Okay! It's very gross. You scramble three eggs in five CCs of castor oil right before you go to bed. Make sure you have a big, big glass of water before you eat it, then choke it down, then go to bed without eating or drinking anything else. I followed this recipe to a T and I didn't have any side effects at all with my dd. I just ate the eggs and the castor oil in the morning with my ds, and I did get diarrhea pretty bad, but I also went into labor.

The only problem is, now I am kind of afraid that my body can't go into full-blown labor on its own. I've been losing my mucus plug and having a few contractions for over 24 hours now, and it just seems like more should be happening. But, patience is not a virtue I have much of.

prettypixels 12-30-2006 02:01 AM

I've been losing my mucous plug since yesterday, so welcome to my world! Except that you have two weeks to really join me in this particular club and hopefully you won't have the dubious pleasure. : (Sending you beautiful labor blessings!!!)

Thanks for that recipe... I do not think I could do that, but I must absolutely give some major props to anyone who could choke that down. You should seriously consider Fear Factor, which I would fail miserably at! My tummy is turning just thinking about it! : Three whole eggs!!!!!!!!!!

I think I will get some castor oil though and give it a shot as nothing seems to be making this baby realize it is time to make her entrance into the world! I am still having bloody show off and on, contractions feel stronger but still not anything to write home about, and she has dropped way way wayyyyy down low. I can barely move. Come on out baby!!!!!

Patience shmatience!

violets 12-30-2006 02:11 AM

i've been induced twice, but don't like it. My body doesn't need much pitocin to get going, but doctors always seem to want to give me the highest dosage they can. first induction was 35 minutes from the time they started the IV to the time baby came out. second one was just short or 2 hours.

Hoping you go naturally

Fuamami 12-30-2006 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypixels View Post
I've been losing my mucous plug since yesterday, so welcome to my world! Except that you have two weeks to really join me in this particular club and hopefully you won't have the dubious pleasure. : (Sending you beautiful labor blessings!!!)

Thanks for that recipe... I do not think I could do that, but I must absolutely give some major props to anyone who could choke that down. You should seriously consider Fear Factor, which I would fail miserably at! My tummy is turning just thinking about it! : Three whole eggs!!!!!!!!!!

I think I will get some castor oil though and give it a shot as nothing seems to be making this baby realize it is time to make her entrance into the world! I am still having bloody show off and on, contractions feel stronger but still not anything to write home about, and she has dropped way way wayyyyy down low. I can barely move. Come on out baby!!!!!

Patience shmatience!

Oh, the eggs are nothing. It's the horrible taste of cooked castor oil that makes it so gross. Thanks for the Fear Factor suggestion, but I would never eat anything so horrible just for money!

Anyway, I see you haven't posted since yesterday, I hope that's because you're too busy holding your new baby!

~*~MamaJava~*~ 12-30-2006 11:48 PM

Just wanted to pitch in here...I wouldn't do pitocin but I used some other methods to get my labor going.

Homeopathy didn't work; for whatever reason I guess the caullophylum wasn't right for me.
I had 2 stretch-and-sweeps done within a 24hr period, and took some herbal labor tincture - black and blue cohosh being the main ingredients - as well. Started a kind of wonky labor - contractions 10-20 minutes apart but actually fairly intense ones. Weird. They finally picked up to 5 minutes apart but by that time I was exhausted from being up for 24 hrs (just could not sleep well) and we decided to get my water broken.

It went fine - seriously intense, fast labour from that point on - and I would do it again if I was worn out like that. It was NOT my plan...but given that my baby had passed meconium I was very happy to find out about it and know about it early into the labor. I was 3-4cm when she broke my water and we could get to the hospital okay. I stayed 4 for an hour or so, then 5 for 2 hrs, and 45 minutes after my last check at 5 cm I had a baby in my arms Wild!

sophiamama 12-31-2006 04:14 PM

I know that a lot of people are really put off by pitocin, but I think that it can be used correctly for a good labor. My water broke at the beginning of my labor and over 24 hours later there were no contractions.....so my midwife and I discussed options and decided to go with a super low dose of pitocin. I had a beautiful, natural childbirth, no complications. Don't be afraid of it if you do have to use pitocin, just talk with them about keeping the dosage low and turning it up only if absolutely necessary.

greenebeene 01-01-2007 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiamama View Post
Don't be afraid of it if you do have to use pitocin, just talk with them about keeping the dosage low and turning it up only if absolutely necessary.
I'm at 42 weeks tomorrow, so I think the midwife is going to want to talk about inducing when I go in next. I'm really nervous about the whole thing- way more nervous about medical intervention than I am about childbirth.

Sopiamama- How did they administer the pitocin? Intraveniously? Could you still move around? Please tell me more!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.