Had a D&C, maybe TMI - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-08-2007, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After Abby was born, there were some membranes that were still attached that wouldn't come out right away. They passed about 14 hours later. My MW hasn't seen this happen before. She didn't know if she got them all, or if there was more.

Fast forward to Sat. night. I start having incredible pain that would not go away, like one long contraction that never stopped. I could barely walk, I was shaking so bad. DH brings me to the ER, and I told them about the delivery, and the Dr. checks & finds more pieces coming out. He recommended getting a D&C done to make sure everything was out.

So yesterday I had the D&C done. Not something I ever want to do again. But the Dr. said there was a large amount of membranes in there. Glad it's pver with though. I shouldn't have any more of the pain episodes, but I still might pass some small pieces. Surprisingly, I'm in no pain at all now. i was expecting major cramping after this was done, but haven't had any yet.

So that was my excitement for the weekend : .

#2 of 13 Old 01-08-2007, 11:42 AM

Wow, I'm glad that you're feeling better.

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#3 of 13 Old 01-08-2007, 11:57 AM

I am so glad you are feeling better!

Carrie, mom to Johnathan (7-02), Brodie (2-04), Kate (12-06), Jordan (9-08), (4-09) & Maggie (3-10)
#4 of 13 Old 01-08-2007, 12:43 PM

yikes! i'm glad that's over and you're out of pain.
#5 of 13 Old 01-08-2007, 01:06 PM

rest up mama!

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#6 of 13 Old 01-08-2007, 01:15 PM

Oh my- that sounds awful. So glad that you are out of pain now.

mama to Ingrid (11/06) and Louisa (5/29/09):
#7 of 13 Old 01-08-2007, 03:49 PM

: I'm glad you got the D&C. Sometimes our bodies just need a little help completing the process. I hope you recover quickly and easily!
#8 of 13 Old 01-08-2007, 05:14 PM

Ooooh, ouch I was bleeding for awhile after delivery from a piece of retained membrane as well, boy did that hurt. You poor thing. Glad it's solved, though. You need to be as healthy as you can be!
#9 of 13 Old 01-09-2007, 01:34 AM

Not in your DDC but I had my DS in October and needed a D&C 4 days later because I started bleeding, cramping and passing large clots. At the birth the doctor, my midwife and everyone else in the room saw a complete placenta, but when he did pathology tests on the tissue he got it was placental (is that the right word?). Doctor said a phantom twin perhaps. But the bleeding only lasted like 2 and a half weeks then all the bleeding was over with, which was awesome. Did you have a spinal or GA for the procedure? I had a spinal, I'm not comfortable with GA. I've never gone under before and I have anxiety issues.
#10 of 13 Old 01-09-2007, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab80 View Post
Not in your DDC but I had my DS in October and needed a D&C 4 days later because I started bleeding, cramping and passing large clots. At the birth the doctor, my midwife and everyone else in the room saw a complete placenta, but when he did pathology tests on the tissue he got it was placental (is that the right word?). Doctor said a phantom twin perhaps. But the bleeding only lasted like 2 and a half weeks then all the bleeding was over with, which was awesome. Did you have a spinal or GA for the procedure? I had a spinal, I'm not comfortable with GA. I've never gone under before and I have anxiety issues.
I had a spinal. I wasn't comfortable with GA either. My MW said the placenta was complete, but where the membranes were, she said it was "leathery", like it was dried out or something there. The Dr. sent what was taken out to the pathologist, so we'll see what that report says.

I wasn't bleeding a lot; just in terrible pain. I haven't had any pain or much bleeding at all now. I feel completely fine . Thank you all for the well wishes. I'm glad it's over with!

#11 of 13 Old 01-23-2007, 09:52 AM

my friend recently had that done since she has stuff left in her from her son but crazy thing is her son was born in september and she just had this done 2 weeks ago...
#12 of 13 Old 01-23-2007, 02:11 PM

I had the same thing happen to me last time. Unforutnately, I also got an intrauterine infection with it and ended up staying in the hospital for a week after being readmitted without the baby so I could have IV antibiotics after the D&C. While I am very sorry that you had to go through that too, I'm glad to know I am not the only one; I was feeling very betrayed by my body.

4 kids under 10
#13 of 13 Old 01-23-2007, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkinpink84 View Post
my friend recently had that done since she has stuff left in her from her son but crazy thing is her son was born in september and she just had this done 2 weeks ago...
Wow, that is crazy : ! Hope she's OK now .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguine_speed View Post
I had the same thing happen to me last time. Unforutnately, I also got an intrauterine infection with it and ended up staying in the hospital for a week after being readmitted without the baby so I could have IV antibiotics after the D&C. While I am very sorry that you had to go through that too, I'm glad to know I am not the only one; I was feeling very betrayed by my body.

Sorry you had such a hard time last time. I was beginning to doubt my body as well. Hope it doesn't happen again to you!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page