Baby Winter Reef is here - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-12-2007, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our son, Winter, was born January 9th at 6:59 pm at 41 wks +2 days. 8 pounds, 4 oz, 21 in long. Black hair, eyes too dark to discern a color. He is beautiful

Short story.....we induced due to a combination of medical and family issues. I was already 3 cm dilated and 90% effaced, so my ob thought pit would do the trick. He was right! I was worried about the slippery-slope of inducing, but I think it was the right decision for this birth. I believe stress at home was artificially blocking labor, and it was time for babe to come out.

Pit started at noon, and it took 5 hours of building pit dose for contractions to become strong and productive. I arrived at 3 cm, and was 3 cm for probably the entirety of those 5 hours. But I wasn't really uncomfortable, either. Just sort of waiting it out.

Then, suddenly, it worked. Within the space of two contractions (full labor contractions), I knew I was in transition. Shaking, intense lower back pain (babe was posterior)....nurse took one look at me, and she knew it too. Checked, and I was 8 cm! Called the doc, and by the time he arrived I was 10.

So I start pushing, and pushing was incredibly painful. Baby isn't moving. Pain whether I push or not....whether I am having a contraction or not....baby feels like he is trying to move out my butt . I hear whisperings of baby being "OP", and understanding this means posterior. Thankfully, the nurse is knowledgable and instructs me to get on my hands and knees, and bring my butt down to the bed with each contraction. Push like that. It feels terrible, as does every other position, but it works. Really fast, baby is moving on out. Quick, get the doctor! Baby is coming!!!

Doc runs back in (I think he thought I'd be working on getting the baby out for a while longer!). I'm lying on my side/back, having exhausted myself in the hands/knee position. Baby is definitely coming NOW! Doc makes some comment about "breaking down the bed"....and then I see him glance between my legs and say "Forget it!" and catches the baby

I am so grateful to that nurse for showing me how to push out my posterior babe. I was in way too much agony at the time to think that thru on my own. She was amazing.

All in all, about 2 hours from the first "real" contraction to delivery. I can not believe it happened that fast!

I'm in love all over again
#2 of 6 Old 01-12-2007, 05:49 PM

Congratulation! Yay for a good nurse!

And I love the name, Winter was on our short list as well.

Mommy to kids

#3 of 6 Old 01-13-2007, 12:09 PM

congratulations!
#4 of 6 Old 01-13-2007, 04:09 PM
mlh

congrats! what a cute name!

: Hip Mountain Mama Natural and unique products from a small family business:Blog
Mama to Magnolia and Sienna Raynebow
#5 of 6 Old 01-13-2007, 07:48 PM

Welcome Winter! Congratulations mama and family. (so is Winter the grand finale to the December DDC babes?)
#6 of 6 Old 01-14-2007, 02:33 PM

What a great nurse. And laboring with pit and no pain meds is tough. You are very strong! Congratulations!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page