Are you cold? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-16-2007, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ever since baby arrived (4 weeks ago) I have been freezing! Dh thinks I'm nuts as I keep cranking the heat. The weather has gotten colder quickly, but I rarely go out and am spending all my time in the warmest part of the house. I keep thinking this has something to do with hormones. Anyone else?

+ (13 years together)= (9), (9), (2) and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2007, 01:36 PM

im the opposite way lol, its really hot in my house it seems like, we dont have the heaters up high at all but omg its just sooooooooo hot in our house. i slept with the windows open the other night lol. maybe its horomone related i dunno, i have a cold right now that seems to be getting worse so i really dunno. maybe its cuz im sick haha
Old 01-16-2007, 07:43 PM

I am cold too, not sure what is going on with that I am normally hot.

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
Old 01-16-2007, 09:26 PM

Until baby was born I kept turning the heat way down in our house, now I'm the one cranking it up. It is getting better though, I'm not as cold as I was for the first week and a half, but still not as hot blooded as I usually am. I think it has to do with the blood loss during birth and afterward. Even though your body makes the extra blood to loose, that's still a lot, and bleeding for weeks afterward might still make some of us slightly anemic.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:19 AM

This is me to a T! I drove everyone crazy by keeping the house so cold, and now I'm the cold one. I was seriously only comfortable at about 61 degrees in that last trimester. I think it's all the weight. I joked that when you've got a bun in the oven, you've got to keep the oven on!

Mommy to kids

Old 01-17-2007, 03:17 PM

That was me, EXACTLY. I was freakishly hot all summer and fall (even on cooler days), but when I came home from the delivery, I thought I'd die from the cold!

All that thankfully tapered off two weeks ago. Now I'm back to my somewhat tepid self.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:43 PM
mlh

i have been freezing since i had my baby 9 days ago.
i went from being hot all the time, to freezing. i sit by the fireplace all evening.
keep warm

: Hip Mountain Mama Natural and unique products from a small family business:Blog
Mama to Magnolia and Sienna Raynebow
Old 01-17-2007, 09:56 PM

Yes!
Old 01-17-2007, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies! I'm so glad to know I'm not alone. We're hooking up the humidifier tonight b/c with the heat turned up my skin is practically cracking! Baby was a month old yesterday so I'm hoping this passes soon... I ususally wear shorts around the house in the winter but lately it's been thermals.

+ (13 years together)= (9), (9), (2) and
Old 01-17-2007, 11:42 PM

sounds like me too, but I found out that it may be from low iron...

Mom to 7-year old DS1 carrot.gif, 2 year old DD joy.gifand DS2 surf.gif

Old 01-18-2007, 03:00 PM

Low iron makes a lot of sense, the midwife said yesterday that she thought my iron was low. Thanks

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
Old 01-18-2007, 05:27 PM

...for my iron levels I have been eating strawberries, drinking strawberry tea, and eating lima beans... I think that its working, bc I am not so cold anymore... downfall is that you have to keep it up...

-L

Mom to 7-year old DS1 carrot.gif, 2 year old DD joy.gifand DS2 surf.gif

Old 01-18-2007, 11:59 PM

It can also be from your thyroid. I'm hypothyroidic and being cold is one of the symptoms of hypothyroidism (along with fatigue and hair loss...2 other things that are common/normal PP). It's quite often first diagnosed shortly after giving birth, btw...my GP says something about pregnancy/childbirth can bring out thyroid issues if you were borderline before pregnancy. So you might want to mention it to your midwife/OB at your 6-week PP checkup (it takes 4-6 weeks PP for thyroid levels to stabilize after having a baby FYI). They can check for it with a simple bloodtest.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:52 PM

Totally! I ended up with a fever thouh and just couldn't get warm...102.2...skin was freezing, but inside Iwas burning up!

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

User Tag List