Mothering Forum banner

Major jealousy between 2yo and 3yo - Help

437 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  ~PurityLake~ 
#1 ·
My girls and fighting a lot - Devin (2yo) is hitting and then they pull hair, kick, whine, cry...you name it. I know they are learning some of this stuff at day care but some of it is jealousy - I can tell. Kiera always has to have "the most" "the best" and "more" than her sister. They compete for me and I am going nuts. I yelled at them and I have done "time outs" and it does not work. Hitting, other physical violence, and :being the leader" are just not going over well. How can I gently teach them to not fight without losing my own cool?

#2 ·
It sounds like maybe they're acting out or are trying to get attention. Perhaps you can be consistent with setting time specifically for each one of them so they 'know' they are each getting special mommy time.

Also, giving attention to the victim is more effective than punishing the attacker. Such as, say the 2 year old smacks the 3 yr old. Immediately, before the 3 year old can react out of anger, rush over and smother attention on the 3 yr old by saying, oh no, you have owies, you must feel so hurt and angry, let me give you hugs and kisses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.