Mothering Forum banner

1 year old and biting

568 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  chicasmama 
#1 ·
My little girl has been quite busy since she started walking. Occasionally when I take her hand to redirect her from getting into something, she will go to bite my hand. What do you think is the best way to respond to this? I have been telling her that biting hurts and letting go, but I think this might be the wrong approach at this age....I don't know.

Any advice?

#2 ·
i'm kind of going through the same thing with my 10 month old... i tell her to please not bite, it hurts mama/the dog/ whoever... yes she is biting me and the dog...
i'm afraid it will transfer to other kids/people more than anything else. this happens when i take her hand and try to walk her some place else to play. i try to teach her hugs and kisses when she bites. i hope you get a responce from some one who survived this phase... i'll be lurking..

#3 ·
A friend of mine (who has raised 4 kids) said that I should just ignore the behavior at this stage. My husband has been doing that, when she bites him in the chest. Later on, when they are a little bit older then can rationalize that biting does indeed hurt, rather than it gets them some freedom from their mama.

#4 ·
I had a biter for over a year. That has been the worst time in parenting for me, because she bit other kids. This is what I learned:

Not much works, except growth and maturing, and keeping an eagle eye out for when the head moves into biting position.

I could write a list of what we tried and failed at, but that would be depressing. Just trust that it is a developmental stage that will eventually end.

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjawm View Post
I had a biter for over a year. That has been the worst time in parenting for me, because she bit other kids. This is what I learned:

Not much works, except growth and maturing, and keeping an eagle eye out for when the head moves into biting position.

I could write a list of what we tried and failed at, but that would be depressing. Just trust that it is a developmental stage that will eventually end.
:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.