Help with strategies for reducing the number of fights over toys - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-09-2009, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I was hoping some of you would have some suggestions of how I could deal with my sons fighting over toys? We are just starting Summer Vacation and I am already at my boiling point over all of their fights.

They grapple over everything!!! It doesn't matter if we have multiples of what they are fighting over - they just fight over the one that the other brother has. Our lives have been pretty stressful lately and I find myself really close to TOTALLY losing my temper.

Maybe this is also a thread asking for help in reducing the rage that is growing inside of me. I need all of us to learn better skills for getting along. How do you encourage your kids to share and take turns while keeping your cool?

Living the good life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2009, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The thing that worked really well for my friend's children (and I tried it here, too) was to drastically reduce the number of toys available. It's counter intuitive, and maybe the ages of our children at that point were just right or the moon was in the right phase or... When there were fewer toys, everyone had an easier time. The toys were not removed punitively, nor were they disposed of; they were simply put in much smaller rotations.

ETA: For the rage- I just told myself I would not lose my temper anymore. It's been six months, and I HAVE lost my temper, but only two or three times instead of weekly.

User Tag List