GD Book Discussion Club - Poll - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Which book would you like to discuss for our GD book club?
The Discipline Book - Dr. Sears. 4 13.79%
Try and Make Me!: Simple Strategies That Turn Off the Tantrums and Create Cooperation -Ray, Levy, Bill O'Hanlon, Tyler Norris Goode 1 3.45%
Loving without Spoiling : And 100 Other Timeless Tips for Raising Terrific Kids - Nancy Samalin, Catherine Whitney 1 3.45%
Positive Discipline for Preschoolers: For Their Early Years - Raising Children Who Are Responsible, Respectful, andResourceful by Ed.D. Jane Nelsen, Cheryl Erwin, Roslyn Duffy, Roslyn Duffy, Cheryl Erwin, Jane Nelsen 1 3.45%
Kids, Parents, and Power Struggles : Winning for a Lifetimeby Mary Sheedy Kurcinka 0 0%
Kids are worth it! Revised Edition : Giving Your Child the Gift of Inner Discipline by Barbara Coloroso 8 27.59%
How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk by Adele Faber , Elaine Mazlish 7 24.14%
Liberated Parents, Liberated Children - by Adele Faber (Author), Elaine Mazlish (Author) 0 0%
Becoming the Parent You Want To Be: A Sourcebook of Strategies for the First Five Years by Janis Keyser (Contributor), Laura Davis (Author) 2 6.90%
Raising Your Spirited Child: A Guide for Parents Whose Child Is More Intense, Sensitive, Perceptive, Persistent, Energetic by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka (Author) 5 17.24%
Giving The Love That Heals by Harville Hendrix (Author) 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-22-2004, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey everyone,
I'm really excited to get this book club going - I was thrilled that so many people were interested in an in depth discussion on GD books. I hope we can make this an ongoing thing.

I am listing all the books that were suggested in the orignal poll. I"ve read some, own some, and am totally unfamiliar with others. We'll go with the majority, and then give people some time to get the book before we get started discussing. Sound good?

Here are the books that were suggested - along with links to each book on Amazon.

The Discipline Book - Dr. Sears
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Try and Make Me!: Simple Strategies That Turn Off the Tantrums and Create Cooperation -Ray, Levy, Bill O'Hanlon, Tyler Norris Goode
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

Loving without Spoiling : And 100 Other Timeless Tips for Raising Terrific Kids - Nancy Samalin, Catherine Whitney

Positive Discipline for Preschoolers: For Their Early Years - Raising Children Who Are Responsible, Respectful, andResourceful
by Ed.D. Jane Nelsen (Author), Cheryl Erwin (Author), Roslyn Duffy (Author), Roslyn Duffy, Cheryl Erwin, Jane Nelsen

Kids, Parents, and Power Struggles : Winning for a Lifetime
by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka (Author)

kids are worth it! Revised Edition : Giving Your Child the Gift of Inner Discipline
by Barbara Coloroso (Author)

How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk -
by Adele Faber (Author), Elaine Mazlish (Author)

Liberated Parents, Liberated Children - by Adele Faber (Author), Elaine Mazlish (Author)

Becoming the Parent You Want To Be: A Sourcebook of Strategies for the First Five Years
by Janis Keyser (Contributor), Laura Davis (Author)

Raising Your Spirited Child: A Guide for Parents Whose Child Is More Intense, Sensitive, Perceptive, Persistent, Energetic
by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...795509-3183866

Giving The Love That Heals
by Harville Hendrix (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...795509-3183866
#2 of 11 Old 01-26-2004, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Just bumping up to make sure all interested parties have voted

Right now, Kids are Worth it is winning by an wide margain of one!

Jeanette
#3 of 11 Old 01-26-2004, 07:49 PM

I voted for "Raising Your Spirited Child," but only b/c I'm in the middle of it (and kind of stuck on hold with it).

I'd be happy to read and discuss any of them, though--and am really looking forward to doing so!!

Thanks JeanetteL!
#4 of 11 Old 01-27-2004, 01:52 AM

I voted for the discipline book. I've heard alot about it on the boards here and recently won it off ebay. I'd be interested in any of them though.

Off to go see if I can find a copy of Kids are worth it.
#5 of 11 Old 01-27-2004, 04:18 AM

Has a book officially been chosen yet?

I'm excited about this!

~Kiyomi~ Unschooling mom to one very chatty, very amazing 7 year old bundle of boy
#6 of 11 Old 01-27-2004, 05:34 AM

I'm going to make another suggestion: This might be more appropriate for Christian parents; but Crystal Lutton's "Biblical Parenting" pulls no punches and has some great material. We just started discussing it on the PositiveChristianAP yahoo group. Crystal's a member on there and gives great feedback. She's also a frequent poster on Gentlemothering.com Here's a blurb:

Grace-Based Discipline (GBD) is a parenting style which is Biblically supported and rooted in the New Testament teachings of Grace. In my book, "Biblical Parenting," I address the popular parenting teachings of today and expose how they are not based on a proper understanding of how God would have us be in relationship with our children.

Our job as parents is to prepare the hearts of our children to be good ground for the seed of the Gospel which is our privilege to plant, not to produce perfectly behaved Stepford children. Parents should not be judged by the behavior of their children, they should be judged by their reaction to it.

The bible is unusually silent on parenting issues except to charge parents with the responsibility to raise their children unto the Lord and to grant them the authority to do so. How to parent is left up to each parent and I believe the best choice is to model our parenting after the style of Father God. My book discusses this idea in greater detail and also provides tools for parenting in a non-punitive way.

Parent-centered is no more Biblically sanctioned than child-centered parenting; Believers are challenged to be Christ-centered in all things. This should also apply to parenting. A believer should extend the fruit of the Spirit to their children--not expect it from them. A condition of Grace for the Believer is one of unquestioned relationship with the Father. A condition of Grace for a Believer's child should be no less.

Jesus told a parable about a servant who was forgiven much and then refused to forgive another who owed him much less. We are the servant who has been forgiven much. Forgive your fellow servant, your child, who owes you the debt of not having come when called or flexing his two-year-old budding independence by yelling "No!" We are warned in the parable what will happen if we refuse to forgive and the consequences of not heeding this warning are quite weighty.

It is the responsibility of the Holy Spirit to produce fruit in a Believer's life. The fruits of the Spirit are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness and self-control. To expect these from a child is an unrealistic expectation; even mature Believers often struggle in the production of these fruit. How can we expect our children to cheerfully produce fruit that we struggle to produce and that is only growing in us
because of the faithful work of the Holy Spirit?

Grace-Based Discipline is about modeling, being kind and firm, teaching (discipline), correcting (verbally admonishing), respecting and being respected in a way that can only come from relationship. The right relationship you create with your child foreshadows the right relationship your child seeks with his creator.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This article was published in the Inaugural Issue of The MOM Report, August 2001. Please visit Kim Cobb's site and subscribe. Crystal will have a monthly article in The MOM Report so read it there first.
http://www.members.tripod.com/minist...ring/index.htm
#7 of 11 Old 01-27-2004, 02:51 PM

I voted Kids are Worth It.....but HOw to Talk was the other one I almost voted for.....
When will we start?? A couple weeks probably??

Jen
#8 of 11 Old 01-27-2004, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Well, it looks like Kids are Worth it has a slim lead. I was thinking I'd leave the poll going till tomorrow and then we'll start in a week or so. How much time does everyone need to get the book? I picked up mine SUPER cheap on Amazon and had it within a week or so.

Jeanette
#9 of 11 Old 01-27-2004, 10:35 PM

Sounds great, jeanette - the book is pretty popular, so it should be readily available at the libraries too!
#10 of 11 Old 01-27-2004, 11:15 PM

Sounds good...I have the book already....
I actually caught a bit of the author on a Family Focus type show on TVO today....weird how the world works....

Jen
#11 of 11 Old 01-29-2004, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Kids Are Worth It!

Does a start date of Monday, Feb 6th sound good to all of you, or do you think we need more or less time?

Jeanette

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page