How to teach a 10 month old? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 10-26-2009, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess that's the same thing as the new cell phones / vs teh ones we give him lol. He called grampa one time. Grampa liked that.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#32 of 45 Old 10-26-2009, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
This is the answer to that question
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcblondie View Post
He sees mom and dad using them and he needs them. lol
You are his favourite people in the whole world. He wants to do everything you do.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#33 of 45 Old 10-26-2009, 09:03 PM

This is all so interesting! My dd is 10 months too, but I really feel like she *is* teachable already.

DH has a bad habit of letting change fall out of his pockets all over the place. Of course DD finds pennies etc and I'm always lunging to get them from her before she puts them in her mouth. But lately, after having to actually go in and remove a couple from her mouth that I didn't see her get (yes I've talked to DH about the danger of dropping change around!! ), and taking them out of her hand if she does get one, she's stopped reaching for the coins!

I've even purposefully left a couple around lately when I was watching her closely, and she just ignores them. That's not to say she wouldn't grab one if I left her alone long enough with one, but she really does seem not to be interested.

She also seems to have learned not to touch the toilet when she's standing in the bathroom. She still has to hold onto things to walk, so the toilet is right at her level to hold on to, but I'm always trying to divert her from it and now she just doesn't go near it.

That's all a long way of saying I agree that sometimes babies this age CAN understand or at least get certain messages/learn certain behaviors. Biting my boobs is another thing DD has learned not to do, which I'm clearly verrrrry grateful for as those top 2/bottom 2 teeth pack quite a punch when the clamp down together!
#34 of 45 Old 10-26-2009, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LROM View Post
This is all so interesting! My dd is 10 months too, but I really feel like she *is* teachable already.

DH has a bad habit of letting change fall out of his pockets all over the place. Of course DD finds pennies etc and I'm always lunging to get them from her before she puts them in her mouth. But lately, after having to actually go in and remove a couple from her mouth that I didn't see her get (yes I've talked to DH about the danger of dropping change around!! ), and taking them out of her hand if she does get one, she's stopped reaching for the coins!

I've even purposefully left a couple around lately when I was watching her closely, and she just ignores them. That's not to say she wouldn't grab one if I left her alone long enough with one, but she really does seem not to be interested.

She also seems to have learned not to touch the toilet when she's standing in the bathroom. She still has to hold onto things to walk, so the toilet is right at her level to hold on to, but I'm always trying to divert her from it and now she just doesn't go near it.

That's all a long way of saying I agree that sometimes babies this age CAN understand or at least get certain messages/learn certain behaviors. Biting my boobs is another thing DD has learned not to do, which I'm clearly verrrrry grateful for as those top 2/bottom 2 teeth pack quite a punch when the clamp down together!
My DS has 8 teeth so I hear you! Seriously painful. I think my immediate "OW!!"'s taught him quickly.

I do agree babies have some understanding of cause and effect / consequences. But right now they are few for most kids. And some that they do understand, they still don't have the impulse control not to do w/e it is.

How did you get her to not touch the toilet? I need a shower!!! lol.

Katelove we LOVE being his fave people

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#35 of 45 Old 10-26-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
By 15 months it looks like he'll have a lot more impulse control.

This cracked me up! I actually laughed out loud! Let's talk in 5 months .

Really, for quite a few years, impulse control is an issue that must be considered. This is why kids who "know better" will still chase a ball into the road or dart across a parking lot to get to a parent's car when they *know* they can be hurt in the street. A 15 month old may have more social awareness and *may* be able to stop themselves from doing *some* things, but they are unable to truly understand the rules (they can say in their little brains- "no pennies" but since their understanding is limited, that "rule" may not apply to marbles, pills, etc.). And though they may be able to control *impulses*, sometimes social "needs" take over. Toddlers will run away from you laughing while you are screaming for them to come back. It's a game, and they're having fun, they are interested in your response, and that is the end of the story as far as they are concerned. Toddlers are notoriously self-centered, as empathy takes a little longer to develop, so a lot of social issues we think we can stop with a "don't hit" are not really ready to be fully heard or understood for a while yet.

So even though technically, they *may* have more impulse control, don't count on a 15 month old really being able to understand and follow directions. There is too much going on then too for them to do as you ask. Keep your "direction following, impulse control" standards low until about 3 yrs old!
#36 of 45 Old 10-26-2009, 11:37 PM

I've found that "aaaaaack!!" is sufficiently interesting to give me a couple extra seconds to dash across the room and remove the terribly interesting and fragile object from baby fingers.
#37 of 45 Old 10-26-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsam View Post
This cracked me up! I actually laughed out loud! Let's talk in 5 months .

Really, for quite a few years, impulse control is an issue that must be considered. This is why kids who "know better" will still chase a ball into the road or dart across a parking lot to get to a parent's car when they *know* they can be hurt in the street.
The "kids dart" billboards all have 4-6 year olds on them. I'm hoping, though, that by that age she'll stop deliberately walking towards the street while fully aware of what she's doing.

Oh, and as an example, because alternatives to "no no no" is the topic of this thread, I say "roads are for cars, sidewalks are for babies" herd/move her to face where we want to go, and say "we're walking THIS way". And if she persists, I carry her until she starts looking ahead at something interesting and then put her down until the next danger point (why oh why does she insist on going *down* driveways??)
#38 of 45 Old 10-26-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
They are a lot more than $20 new, here. Maybe the cheapest of the cheap.
This is the sort I bought Yeah, you have to step over it, but for making an area off-limits to a toddler while still keeping line of sight while you do what have you, it's great.

I use ours to keep the doors to the cat food open for the cats and closed to the toddler.
#39 of 45 Old 10-27-2009, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Alexsam No need to laugh I just said 15 months because the child in the article learned quite a bit more by that age. I know each child is different. And I'm also not expecting him to magically obey every command in 5 months. But he WILL get better with each month, I'm sure of it. Baby steps.

Saphire That does look like a decent gate. We're going to need SOMETHIGN for our sanity sake. Moving the pack and play in the way of the stairs is getting annoying.
lol on the ack. I say that sometimes. Or "bah." Thank you for the other suggestions. We're having a hard time breaking the habit of "no" and "don't." We try to say "owie" if it's something that can hurt him. Or "that's for mommies" if he grabs something he shouldn't.

I welcome more suggestions for alternatives to "no."

#40 of 45 Old 10-27-2009, 12:10 AM

Also remember, if you take action, it lets you just narrate what you're doing.

Like Theoretica's example of giving a toy that's okay to bite. "here, you can bite this" as you hand over the good toy.

Also, practice. After you've said "no" ( 'should have said XYZ') leave the interesting object at his level and when he goes for it again say "XYZ".

And rehearse stuff in advance of when you expect a response. Like, I'm saying the "roads are for cars" stuff now when she does not get it at all, because that way it'll be a habit when she can get it.

Ditto the validating stuff. "I hear that you're mad, but we need to get home" or what have you. It's more a 2-4 year old thing, but doing it now should ( mean that I have that skill when it comes to it.

Check out "Becoming the Parent you Want to Be" and Naomi Aldort's book whose title escapes me at the moment.
#41 of 45 Old 10-27-2009, 12:11 AM

Oh

Also, if you have situations where it's hard to think of what to say instead of "no", post a thread.

Really, at 10 months, you could replace most "no"s with "look at THIS!"
#42 of 45 Old 10-27-2009, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

That's a good idea to get into the habit of saying those types of things now. It just makes for conversation/stimulation also, double bonus

#43 of 45 Old 10-27-2009, 12:17 AM

Oh, no! I'm not laughing AT you! Gosh- these are the times I hate the internet. Writing just doesn't have the same "voice" .

I suppose I was thinking of my son as a 15 month old and thinking impulse control was the last thing I would think of . So it made me laugh .
#44 of 45 Old 10-27-2009, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

That's ok. I just didn't want you to think I thought all my problems would be solved when he turns 15 months lol.

#45 of 45 Old 10-27-2009, 12:25 AM

Tee hee! Nope

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page