new book: Parenting Without Power Struggles - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-03-2009, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Parenting Without Power Struggles: Raising Joyful, Resilient Kids While Staying Cool, Calm and Connected by Susan Stiffelman

This is a new book that I think is worth checking out. I'll admit that I haven't read the whole thing yet , but I'm so excited about it because her work has been heavily influenced by Gordon Neufeld and Byron Katie, two people who have been huge influences on my thinking. She also writes about "ADD-ish" children and is very familiar with brain research.

IMO, this book has the potential to be very helpful to parents. Much as I love Hold Onto Your Kids, it's a very dense book that I think is hard to stomach for many overwhelmed, sleep-deprived parents. I've gone back to it several times and I've been surprised at what insights it contains that I wasn't able to absorb after the first reading. Stiffelman simplifies Neufeld's ideas and presents them in a way that is very accessible and I think this is a very valuable service.

What I like about Stiffelman's work is that she not only describes what our children need from us, she also presents the tools that we need to become that parent. I think this is so important. We are often encouraged to be gentle on ourselves as we strive to become better parents, but it can be a tough road without many signposts.

For example, our children need our acceptance. She gives an example of helping a father do "The Work" on his belief that his son should be getting more outdoor exercise. At the end you can see that, while the father may still encourage his son to get more outdoor exercise, he has questioned his thoughts about this and opened his mind to approaching his son from a more accepting place. IMO, these subtleties become more and more important as our children get older. The personal work that we do as parents can have a huge impact on our families.

I had one phone coaching session with the author, and her insights were bang-on. I tend to get tangled up in all the different ideas about parenting, and that can undermine my efforts to be mindful and stick to approaches that I believe in. She not only steered me back to attachment-friendly responses to parenting challenges that I face, she also gave me useful feedback about how to use less verbal strategies with my six year old. She also challenged me to do "The Work" on some of my beliefs. She reminded me that I was undermining my own authority by doing things certain ways with my children.

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#2 of 8 Old 12-03-2009, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't read it, but it sounds really good! I'll have to wait until we get back to north america, as I'm quite sure a book like that won't be stocked anywhere in NZ any time soon.

I've been so stressed lately, and it's really showing in the kids.

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#3 of 8 Old 12-03-2009, 04:17 PM

Thanks for bringing this up, K, I'll have to check it out... I definitely need something more... step-by-step "here's what you do". I can customize stuff, but I have trouble putting less specific ideas into practice, no matter how much I agree with them! That was one of the things I liked about "No More Meltdowns", which reminds me, I still have to buy that one (only borrowed it from the library) since meltdowns are occurring fast and furious these days and I'm not dealing with them very well.

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes
#4 of 8 Old 12-06-2009, 04:09 PM

Thanks, Ksenia. I'll check to see if it is at the library. We are not having a lot of good attachment lately, lots of power struggles, meltdowns, and extreme tiredness. Maybe I have a four-year-old.

If you want to read part of it, here it is.

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

#5 of 8 Old 12-06-2009, 04:51 PM

I read the excerpt. It is good. I am going to order a copy.

I like that it is actionable and isn't just a bunch of discussion. I need a plan of action kwim?

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#6 of 8 Old 12-06-2009, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by widemouthedfrog View Post
Maybe I have a four-year-old.
Five will be better!!

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#7 of 8 Old 12-07-2009, 05:02 PM
ssh

Mary Kurcinkas Kids Parents and Power Struggles is a good book.
#8 of 8 Old 02-16-2010, 02:19 PM

bummer...my library doesn't carry it anywhere in our group.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page