7yo boys: issues with food/eating/control. Please advise! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 125 Old 02-24-2010, 11:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakeber View Post
but you did see that my son does self regulate, and I was simply saying that IF he started to suddenly just eat all those treats behind my back I MIGHT resort to that? If my child suddenly started raiding the fridge as my brother and sisters and I did, I cannot really say what I would do. We teach them everything we can, but at some point they may just do what they WANT instead of what you have taught them, and I don't know about you, but I think it's important to respect the rights and needs of the rest of the family, too.

No, I didn't; my apologies. I saw the portion where you said you would lock up the fridge like your parents did if your child started sneaking food. I think it is important to respect the needs and rights of all family members but I would seriously have to question why my child is sneaking food, especially healthy foods like the apple that the OP's son had.

For the OP:

As a point of reference, my four-year-old is going through a growth spurt and ate in one day this week:

Breakfast - 1/2 grapefruit, 1/2 cup strawberries, 1 whole English Muffin with preserves

On the drive to school - sausage, egg, and cheese on a biscuit with OJ (Dunkin Donuts)

Snack at school

Lunch - Homemade "Lunchable"
He was dying for a Lunchable "'cause that's what Bailey brings" so ham and cheese and some crackers; also 1 cup strawberries and kiwi, 1/2 cup green peppers and 1 carton of milk

Snack at school

Snack after school - Doughnut from the morning trip and milk

Dinner - steak with asparagus and mushrooms

Also he drinks about 20 ozs of water throughout the day; he has his own water bottle that goes to school with him.

He's in the 97th percentile for weight (plumping up for his growth spurt) and 95th for height. He's not slender but not stocky either; he's proportional height and weight-wise but he's just big. He always has been; 10 lbs, 11 ozs at birth. ;-)

Minxie
#122 of 125 Old 02-24-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellebluetoo View Post
I thought this was cute Do you have a toaster oven?
Thanks. We do but he uses the toaster to make his toast. He isn't allowed to use the toaster oven yet as it is more oven and less toaster.

Minxie
#123 of 125 Old 02-25-2010, 01:06 AM

Ok the OP seems to have dropped off the face of the Earth...

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#124 of 125 Old 03-01-2010, 11:34 PM

Are there any updates from the OP on this?

obstruct livery vehicles

#125 of 125 Old 03-03-2010, 03:02 AM

I keep a bowl of apples on the table at all times and when Clementines were cheap we had crates and crates of them. My kids are fed healthy food all day long (mostly) and the only time I regulate is where sugar is concerned b/c Dd reacts badly to too much. DS doesn't but to keep life fair we all follow the same intake. So even in that my kids can regulate their sugar and decide if the cookie being offered by a neighbor at noon is worth giving up ice cream after dinner (or whatever)
I don't even really care how much of something my kids eat. I always say, kids are warmer then we are and are hungrier b/c even when sitting their bodies are working very hard at growing.
I don't make them wear a sweater and I don't make them eat (I do make bring a sweater and I do carry snacks..you know just in case )

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page