Missed a chance for GD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-16-2010, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Missed a great opportunity to apply the "happiest toddler on the block" and "how to talk so your kids will listen" techniques I've been reading about yesterday.
At the mall ds was angry and frusterated and starting to cry because there's this large beautiful ride-on size train set up on a round track inside a picket fence with an operators booth. *Totally looks ready to go. *It's there for decoration. *I've never seen it used. *
Ds ask to get on the train. *We tell him it's not working and keep walking. *He doesn't keep walking with us. *He starts crying "come back here mamma.".

I pick him up and he's crying on my shoulder and we walk as I tell him, "it's ok baby. *Let's go get some tacos. *Are you hungry?". And comforted him while he cried over his dissapointment.

Last night I woke up and told dh, "oh man I missed the opportunity. *I should have said, "You're sad you can't get on the train. *And you're mad we won't even let you. *I wish you could ride the train."

That was the perfect set-up for that technique and I forgot and just hugged him instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 04-16-2010, 09:17 AM

but now you are primed to look for those opportunities and respond appropriately. not that you totally dismissed his feelings this time.

i'll have to check out the happiest toddler book. i've been reading and rereading how to talk....

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
#3 of 3 Old 04-16-2010, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

I like that "how to talk.." book. It illustrates how to say what you're trying to say and sound more like it's a mom talking.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page