help with 4 yo dd - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-22-2010, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last week it was the 6yo I needed help with, this week the 4yo, LOL! Anyway, dd turned 4 not long ago, and she is really going through something right now, and I am looking for some explanations. About a month ago she started being really defiant with me. She has always been a mommy's girl, and not to into dad, so this has been a change. She has been relatively coopertive until now too, but suddenly we are having 2-3 tanrums a day, running away(she won't go too far), peeing on the carpet a couple times, pooping in her pants(this happened twice), etc. She constantly whines for movies, all day long.
So I gather she is probably upset that big sister is back in school. She is in preschool 3 afternoons a week, and is always beaming when I pick her up. I don't think anything is going on there that I should be worried about, and other than that, nothing has changed. Well, I guess those are big changes for a 4 yo though.
I feel like it is good she is breaking away from me a little bit more, but I do find the peeing on the floor and pooping in her pants kind of worrisome. Do you think her behavior seems extreme, or just a 4 yo asserting herself? She didn't do a whole lot of defiant stuff as a 2 or 3 year old, so maybe she is just a late bloomer where self assertion and defiance are concerned?
#2 of 3 Old 09-22-2010, 04:52 PM

DS1 was the same way. Didn't go through the 'terrible twos' and was a great 3 year old. But a few months before and after becoming 4, he was talking back, throwing fits, going to DH when I said "no"... things like this.
But we did move in to a new house last year and this year, we welcomed his baby brother 2 months after his 4th birthday. He didn't show signs of jealousy towards his baby brother, but I guess the acting out, tantrum, talking back, was his way of saying 'hey, I'm still here'.... Maybe it's extra attention is what your DD is seeking?

Now, he's almost 5 and is back to his old self, so all in all, I think it's just a phase.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#3 of 3 Old 09-22-2010, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks,
We also got a dog about a month ago. Maybe that could be part of it too?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page