GD Book Recs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-28-2010, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can anyone recommend some good books for me and DH to read about GD?  DS just turned 1 and we want to decide on discipline methods before long.

BTW, I recently came back on MDC and noticed the format had changed.  There used to be a place at the top of each forum with rules and resources and all that... is that stuff still somewhere (so I wouldn't need to start a new thread to get this type of info?)

TIA!

Mama to my beautiful DS bornhomebirth.jpg 11/09 and sweet DD born homebirth.jpg1/12.  angel1.gif Malaika 3/11 (8 wks).  winner.jpgnocirc.gifsaynovax.gifhola.gif

#2 of 11 Old 11-29-2010, 09:09 AM

I love "Easy to Love Difficult to Discipline"  also "Playful Parenting"

#3 of 11 Old 11-29-2010, 09:24 AM

I'll second "Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline". Also we loved "Non-Violent Communication", "Respectful Parents, Respectful Kids".

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

#4 of 11 Old 11-30-2010, 10:47 AM

Subbing for more suggestions too, I'm new to GD as well.

SAHM to DS (10/07) and DD (4/10)
#5 of 11 Old 11-30-2010, 05:47 PM

i need good GD advice! i came from an abusive home and want to GD my children (only one so far 14 m/o) DH is kind of a non-believer. he will sometimes be like just slap her hand if shes touching x and im like NO! he thinks she will be a spoiled brat ect ect.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#6 of 11 Old 12-02-2010, 08:03 PM

Also subbing for suggestions! 

Dirt worshiping, creatress Mama to Rowan and Alden - home birth loving, no circ, no vax, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, cosleeping

#7 of 11 Old 12-03-2010, 05:37 AM

i dont think we are getting anymore lol

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#8 of 11 Old 12-03-2010, 06:23 AM

I love anything by Haim Ginott, especially "Between Parent and Child". It's not so much about discipline (as in how to get kids to do what you want, gently) but a way of communicating with your kids. I believe that the side effect of following Ginott's advice will be a better relationship with your kids and that can't help but manifest itself in "discipline issues."

I love "Kids, Parents and Power Struggles" by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka because it helps us to understand where some of the resistance comes from when we ask our kids to do things, or want them to behave.

Alfie Kohn's "Unconditional Parenting" is ANYTHING but a how-to. But it's good for shaking up your thinking and looking at things in a new way. Then Kurcinka's book will help you put stuff into actual practice.

I also like "How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen so Kids Will Talk". I am not all the way through it but it's been very helpful so far.

These aren't "discipline" books per se, but I think that they are parenting books that will help foster a gentler more respectful environment and relationship, which helps in the area of discipline.

#9 of 11 Old 12-10-2010, 09:26 PM

I also like Unconditional Parenting and "How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen so Kids Will Talk". I wish I'd read How to Talk earlier; it echoes many of the principles in UP, but gives you actual techniques to try. So helpful!

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#10 of 11 Old 12-10-2010, 11:26 PM

Awesome! i so agree, this style of parenting has changed my life and consequently our family's atmosphere. I am so passionate about it since seing the amazing changes in all three of our children and in myself and my hubby. But I don't agree when my friends and family tell me its each to his own, whatever way suits whatever family because to me it is not about what is convenient for the parents but its about how all children in this world should be treated, which in turn will turn our society into one with a huge lack of crime or anger.

#11 of 11 Old 12-12-2010, 03:21 PM

I'm a big reader, and I liked:

and 

For Your Own Good: Hidden Cruelty in Child-Rearing and the Roots of Violence by Alice ******, Hildegarde Hannum, and Hunter Hannum. It's dated, and I don't "buy" it all, but it really resonated with me.

Part-time WAHM. Live with my workaholic mother, my over-worked husband, and wonderful daughter born in '07.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page