My 2 year old bully - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 02-21-2011, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter will be 2 on the first of March and we seriously need to do something about her bullying behavior. She really only picks on one little girl, my full time daycare girl. I've had her since she was 14 weeks old and my daughter was 10 weeks old, so they've grown up together like sisters.

As time goes by, my daughter has become out right mean to this little girl. It started with biting several months ago. She isn't the only person my daughter bites, but she is the victim most often. Now, DD doesn't want my daycare girl to play with any of the toys. She pushes, hits, smacks her on the head, bites, etc. They used to play together pretty well the majority of the time. They'd sit on the Lego table and build blocks together, trade baby dolls back and forth, race strollers around the house. Now, DD doesn't want anything to do with her.

When she's physical with her, DD is removed from the situation and daycare girl is comforted. I try to go a little over the top with the comfort because I want DD to see that my attention is focused on the one she hurt, if that makes sense. DD will kiss the boo-boo she caused and give hugs, say she's sorry... without any prompting from me most of the time. I hate to say it this way, but it seems like she just doesn't like her and I don't know quite how to handle that.

I have another part-time daycare girl around the same age and DD plays really well with her. They laugh, giggle, play little games together, build blocks together. I don't know if it's just because she's a new face or because their personalities work better together. I really don't like the way she's treating the other little girl. It's unfair to the little girl and it's extremely inappropriate behavior for my daughter. How do I teach that to a 2 year old?

DH thinks we should utilize time out, but she's really too young to understand what that means. I'm not totally opposed to time out when the kid is old enough to know what it means. He's also brought up spanking, but I quickly nipped that in the bud. We were both spanked growing up and I have constantly keep myself in check when she's acting this way, because it is almost a natural reaction to want to spank her... that's what would have happened to me when I was a kid. I explained to DH that in this situation, spanking is only going to show her that it's okay to hurt other people when we're angry with them, which is exactly the behavior we're trying to correct.

Any suggestions?

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page