19mo kicking during diaper changes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-21-2011, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not sure what to do about this. I know it's normal for toddlers to not want to be still long enough for diaper changes. Usually, I can use a toy or talk to DD in order to distract her while I change her. She has reached a new phase, though, where she is kicking her legs (hard!!) and, when I tell her to stop or try to distract her, she thinks it's a game and keeps kicking. Part of it, I think, is that when I snap her diaper, it tickles her when I touch her tummy. There's not much I can do about that, though! lol  I need some new ideas! Thanks!

Johanna & DH stillheart.gif 10-23-04

DD Caitlyn fly-by-nursing1.gif7-17-09

belly.gifwith #2, due 1/12

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 02-21-2011, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Try a book and a song.

When my kids wore diapers (over 10 years ago...), we would hand them a book to look at and sing our diaper-changing song while we changed them. Kicking was not a problem - maybe holding the book kept them physically and mentally occupied, while the song helped them to gauge where we were in the process?

Worth a try, at least

#3 of 9 Old 02-21-2011, 09:11 PM

My dd was the same way, she absolutely despised diaper changes, so we potty trained. I know it's not possible with all kids this age, but my dd's hatred of diapers led to us allowing a lot of naked time and her being potty trained at 19 months, dry at night by 19 1/2 months. Sorry if that's not any help, but I thought I'd mention it!

Mama to my little social butterfly 6/13/09

#4 of 9 Old 02-21-2011, 10:05 PM

I was going to suggest potty learning too.

If that isn't something you want to try, I suggest "waiting for the bus".  Change in the same place every time with the same expectation.  Just wait for her to comply (for instance, do it in the bathroom and close the door and wait for her to lay down nicely or step into the diaper nicely).  Kicking is NOT OKAY, and I would hold my kids legs down and say that if they were kicking me.

HTH

Tjej

#5 of 9 Old 02-21-2011, 11:12 PM

my son wouldn't stay still laying down from, say, about 12 months on. i've done diaper changes standing upright since then. he's still not a big fan, but it's easier for me. no way can i pin him down and do the dipes. oh, and we have been potty learning since 15 months. catching the poop in the potty is a muchmuch easier wipe up than having them go in a diaper. and gives him some "control" over the whole thing -- control that is really lacking when they have to just keep using a diaper. i think it makes him happier.

#6 of 9 Old 02-22-2011, 02:25 AM

One thing that I have done with my neice, Brianna, is that I give her a diaper to hold while I am changing her.  She thinks its funny when I make cartoon noises for Mickey and Minnie Mouse on the diaper (my sister uses disposables) while I am changing her.  This distracts her long enough for me to clean her and put a clean diaper on.  Brianna likes to turn over and move all over when she is getting changed or even when she is getting pants or pajamas put on her.  I guess all toddlers do this at some point.

Jessie

#7 of 9 Old 02-22-2011, 11:33 AM

I would also suggest potty learning. I switch my kids to pull ups as soon as they are standing well. With ds this was around 10 months and with dd we are finishing up a pack of diapers and will be starting her next week. With ds I changed him, standing up, in the bathroom, every time. I made changing the diaper/pullup a bathroom experience, to help him associate elimination with going to the bathroom/potty, and I would also put him on the potty "to read books" as soon as I took the diaper off in the morning, and again before bathtime while I ran the bathwater. Within a week he was eliminating regularly on the potty at those two times. gradually and nonchalantly I added in other potty visits (with no expectations other than him sitting there looking cute) throughout the day until I went whole hog with a timer and everything at 12 months. He was in a combo of training pants/pullups at 13 months and completely in underwear at 15 months (except for an overnight pullup in case of bedwetting).

I start the potty process as soon as I get resistance to diaper changes. I've done it with children I nannied for as well and I've always had good success.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#8 of 9 Old 02-22-2011, 09:02 PM

Check out the EC forum.  I would take that as a sign that she is ready to start communicating her body functions with you.  Learning the signs, introducing her to a potty, and watching her cues like  a HAWK will be a good start, and paying attention to timing.  I usually potty DD upon waking up, after her first meal, when she makes this funny face or when she walks over to the potty or makes the pooping noise (pthbhpthbhpthbh).

We sgtill use diapers at night and as a back up, especially if we have to go out, obviously, but she's been pretty capable of communicating her body functions in some way or another since she was just a week or so old, and now at 13 months she is getting REALLY good at it.  I would definitely take kicking during diaper changes as a sign that she wants to be diaper free.

Maybe start with pull-ups and training pants.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#9 of 9 Old 02-23-2011, 06:13 AM

If she has a baby doll, get some cloth diapers and have her change her baby while you are changing her. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page