how to stop time-out in such a situation? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-05-2011, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi

I need some help with this situation we had this morning

I actually wanted to stop time-outs and also stop yelling, but….

My boys, 3 and 4, took some kitchentool for playing. They did this befor and that’s okay so far. But this morning, they started some new game with it and it broke. I said they should stop, clean the mess and put it back. But my younger child wouldn’t listen and started to play with it even harder. I repeated to stop and that it breaks. Didn’t stop him. I said it again and he kind of spit at me. Then I sent him to a time-out. Of course he wouldn’t sit down, he laughed and ran away. That’s when I stared to yell. So much for my new resolutions….

He is in such a difficult phase right now. Yesterday when we were shopping for food, there was an old man smiling at him and saying something nice. He in return showed him his tounge. I said nod to do that, that’s very rude, he laughs. Maybe we should have gone home right away but I had to do the shopping, I have 3 kids, the youngest ist 5 months old, I hardly find the time to go shopping at all.

So I’m a little lost here….

Any ideas ?

Thanks a lot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 04-05-2011, 05:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What I've found to be helpful in reducing my yelling is to remember that not yelling usually takes me getting off the couch (literally and figuratively!).  If I ask my kids to do something and they don't comply, I need to walk over and physically help them do it or "enforce" what I said (like if I asked them to stop playing roughly with a toy, I might go and take the toy away).  It's when I repeatedly ask them to do something and they don't listen that I start to yell, so I just need to get up and be more active in my discipline.  In your situation, if I'm reading it correctly, I would have removed the items they were playing roughly with and gone over to help them clean up the mess they made.  I have noticed since I started doing this, I have gotten more compliance in general, where I don't have to go over and get directly involved.  HTH!

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page