tools for your GD toolbox for when you're angry. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 06-20-2011, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

can we make a list? 

early pregnancy hormones make me super irritable and i argued with dh about stupid stuff in front of dd and then was really mean to her when her behavior reflected my own state of mind.  i really don't like myself when i am not able to be gentle with her. 

what do you do when it's too much for you?

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#2 of 16 Old 06-20-2011, 07:18 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

For very young kids (crawling-3 years old): Just lay on the floor on your back.  I have found that to be the most wonderful thing for young kids.  I think it's the "potential availablity" factor.  Lay there while they play and let them crawl on you if they want.  

For age 3-5: A "yes" day.  Spend a day saying yes to everything - allow a bit more candy or crawling on something you normally don't make time for, some outlandish dinner request - whatever the kid asks for.

Evening talks about the day.   

For age 5-7: The book "Parent Effectivness Training".  

Increased responsibility around the house.  

Having the child choose the solution to the problem.  

Age 7-9: Contracts

abiyhayil likes this.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#3 of 16 Old 06-20-2011, 08:29 AM

I'm the sort of person that I need a few moments to myself if I start to lose my temper.  I explain as calmly as possible to my DS (7) that I need to be alone for a few minutes so that I can calm down and be a better mama to him.  But, it's only because of his age that I can do that. 

So, I guess for me I would say:

1.  Counting to ten

2.  Doing something calming like reading for a minute, sitting outside on the porch, just laying on the bed for a minute meditating.

3.  A play therapist recommends working your large muscle groups when frustrated - something about it releases stuff into your bloodstream that helps to calm you.  This was very recently so I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

Are you able to take a little break if you need it, to get a little time to yourself?  In my experience a little preventative maintenance is the best thing for being in a frame of mind to be a good parent.  :)  Maybe you need an hour or two for a nice bath by yourself or something, if that's possible.

#4 of 16 Old 06-21-2011, 07:17 PM

I got this concept from Lawrence Cohen's Playful Parenting.  When I get frustrated and feel like screaming/yelling/etc., I instead pretend to be a firecracker (picture jumping around and waving my arms making loud firecracker-like noises).  When I do this, my boys giggle and I get to release strong emotions in a positive way.

abiyhayil and Deepfeet like this.
#5 of 16 Old 06-22-2011, 01:42 PM

Have an activity that you switch over to before going back to talking about whatever problem behavior.  (so a walk, shower, snack together).

I get way more irritated with everything when I'm too hot - so summertime is really bad for my gd parenting skills.  I'll just stop everything with the kids and we'll go take a shower together to cool off, or do laundry (in the cool basement), and then come back to deal with. . . cleaning up toys, other stuff that's an issue, etc.  

Other times I've gone off to do dishes myself (angrily) and then can come back to deal with a frustrating situation better because 'at least I got something done' with the anger and can come back and see what a jerk I was being before.

#6 of 16 Old 06-22-2011, 02:51 PM

great ideas!
#7 of 16 Old 06-22-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

For very young kids (crawling-3 years old): Just lay on the floor on your back.  I have found that to be the most wonderful thing for young kids.  I think it's the "potential availablity" factor.  Lay there while they play and let them crawl on you if they want. 

This is awesome. It can stop a 3-yr old's temper tantrum and yours in about 2 seconds flat. When I've done this, my 16-mo and 3 yr old just grin, and climb on me and everyone giggles. It's such a nice way to reconnect.

I love this thread.

Carey

Carey
Mama to Charlie (4/08) and Toby (2/10)
#8 of 16 Old 06-24-2011, 11:07 AM

A few  things I've found that work for me.

Walking away.  Just realizing that whatever it is... it's not worth my losing my cool over.

I keep a package of European-style cookies that I love (LU) in the cupboard.  I'll make a cup of mint tea...take 2-3 cookies... go to my room and escape for 15 minutes.  Sometimes, I'll even turn on the TV for the kids to lengthen my time of peace.  If I'm really frazzled, I'll even put on TV shows that we don't regularly watch.  IMHO, the break and peace is worth the quesitionable material on occasion.  

Taking a shower.... or shoving all of the kids into a bubble bath (well, not the baby).

Surprisingly, letting my kids know that Mom is having a tough day.  I used to be a massage therapist...and probably because of that, our entire family massages each other.  So if I say that, the kids will climb up on the back of the couch, and massage my back.

Family sandwich.  I lie on the floor...I'm the bread...then my eldest gets on and decides what he is (peanut butter)....then my middle son (jelly)...then my daughter (bread on top).

Try to get them to be silly (or do this myself.)  We were having an issue with DS1's anger.  He would get really angry at everybody--and couldn't calm down.  So if he said something really loud and mad... we'd then ask him to say it in a grumpy voice... then in a baby voice... then like Foghorn Leghorn.... then like xyz.   

Onetime when I was pregnant with DS3, I remember just walking outside the door and closing it and breathing in the nice fresh air.  That was wonderful.

abiyhayil likes this.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#9 of 16 Old 06-27-2011, 01:54 PM

I find that I need "time-outs" far more than my kids do.  I explain that I need a few minutes to calm down and that I'll be right back.  And then I escape into my room, the bathroom, anywhere the kids aren't, to pull myself together and get some perspective for a few minutes.  It seems to work well when I can feel the anger rising and know I'm about to react in a way I'll regret.

I've been working to get my son to speak more kindly to his sister when he's frustrated with her, and he and I had a discussion about this today in which I told him that I know I too need to work on speaking gently even when I'm angry, and so we agreed to help each other remember this when we "forget."  So, now when either one of us is getting frustrated we'll remind each other to be kind.  So far it seems to be working pretty well.

IdentityCrisisMama likes this.
#10 of 16 Old 06-30-2011, 10:41 PM

thanks for this list. I came onto this forum tonight looking for ideas like this.  I'm snappy and so quick to anger with my 2.5 year old these days - sleep deprived and home alone 70+ hours a week with her and my 3 month old. She's seriously pushing my buttons and I can feel my irrational rage under the surface of our interactions way more often than I'd like to admit. I'm not a yeller, but I can feel myself wanting to shake her or react physically, which I do resist doing, though I have been more physical with her than I feel comfortable with at times. Sometimes I can turn it into physical playfulness like wrestling or raspberries, and sometimes I need to take a break....but that's hard to do with a toddler and a newborn. I'm going to try some of these other things. I don't want to interact with her like this and I feel like a terrible parent for feeling this way.

Wife to great guy and mama to 2 beautiful girls S Oct 15, 2008 and Z March 22, 2011
#11 of 16 Old 07-01-2011, 08:02 AM

I love this list. I need as many ideas as I can get. When I get frustrated and want to yell, I try to sing instead. So I'll sit there and sing "put on your shoes" or "please get buckled". It helps to diffuse the situation.

Proud Mommy to my amazing boys (6 and 4) and my precious little girl (18 months).

#12 of 16 Old 07-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Banned

Walking away is the only one that works for me.  My usual way is to find something funny and use my internal humor to calm me down.  But I don't want the kids to think that the behavior that got me mad is OK or funny, so walking away is the best option for me.

#13 of 16 Old 07-20-2011, 02:03 PM

Can we bump this thread up? I need a 1,000 tools because DS is intent on driving me batty. At least 2 -3 times a day, it literally takes 30-45 minutes to change his diaper because he's too strong for me to physically restrain without hurting him and he flat out refuses to cooperate in any way. I do the playful things, I give him the option of blue diaper cover or red, we count cars out the window, I sit in the rocker and tell him I'll wait until he's ready, he throws things on the floor, I explain about needing a diaper, I offer the potty, I bribe with snacks, I count to 5, it goes on and on. It ends with me yelling and/or crying and then he will let me change the diaper. He's 23 months. I'm going to have to do this for 2 more years, aren't I? Sigh.

Sorry for the thread hijack. I just wanted to move it up so we get some more ideas.

Maria blahblah.gif, wife to A malesling.GIF, mama to DS M 8/09 2whistle.gif and DS L 6/12 biggrinbounce.gif

Everything will be ok in the end.  If it's not ok, then it's not the end - Paolo Coelho  

#14 of 16 Old 07-20-2011, 02:35 PM

#15 of 16 Old 07-20-2011, 04:36 PM

Locking myself in the bathroom for a few minutes works. Sometimes I just step outside in the fresh air for a few. Also, sitting on the floor my eyes clenched shut, hands over ears and visualizing what I'd *like to say but really won't*, and then what I'm actually going to say has helped a lot too. Regular meditation, and breaks for me are key prevention tools.

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

#16 of 16 Old 07-30-2011, 04:49 PM

These ideas are all very helpful! I have been having a tough parenting month as we are going through a difficult time together as a family. I feel overwhelmed by everything! I am really going to try out some of these ideas.... and if anyone has more, please share!

Sara - - PreK Teacher, Birth Doula, Wife to Shaun (8/13/05), Mama to Caleb (8/17/06), Chance (6/22/08), and Brielle (10/31/09) - - - winner.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page