Yep. I'm the mom of the naked kid. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-14-2011, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So here's what happened.

Our church was having a big celebration for ending our vbs/mission week.. so there were like 100 people in this room, and they were doing a big ceremony.

My four year old stood up in front of everyone and pulled his pants and underwear down.

I don't know whether to laugh or to cry.

This is starting to become a frequent occurance. Happened last week at the lake, he showed his mixed company friends his package..

so it wasn't a one time thing. I've tried till I'm blue in the face to explain private parts are private, describing WHAT is private, etc.. we've read books, I just don't know where else to go with this 'phase' (Please, Lord, say it's a phase!)

Any tips?

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

#2 of 13 Old 07-14-2011, 07:05 PM

IDK about tips but this was my DD at the park the other day but she was butt-a$$ and running away from me as I picked up all her clothes...but she's not yet 2!

IDK WHAT could have compelled your son to want to do that in front of all those people! He certainly is not shy. Maybe it's an attention thing?

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#3 of 13 Old 07-15-2011, 12:06 PM

Have you asked him why he does it?  Could he need to use the toilet?  Is he hot?  Did he get some laughter the first time he did it?  Sometimes my son does things over again b/c someone laughed the first time.  Perhaps if this will be a phase, make it more difficult to get his pants off(belt, suspenders, overalls) so maybe you can stop him before he does it.

Cathy mom to 13 y/o DD, 10 y/o DD, 7 y/o DS

#4 of 13 Old 07-15-2011, 02:41 PM

Have you tried overalls?  I let my son be naked a LOT at home and when we started spending more time out in public, particularly in Scotland where they did not seem to find naked toddlers as rip-roaringly funny as they did in Argentina, we bought three pairs of overalls for outings because he simply did not see the point of clothing.  This did not mean he did not try to strip down, but it bought us time between impulse and action.  We could spot him fiddling with the buttons and then sprint over to scoop him up and re-fasten.

Tricky ring fastened belts can also be good.  Not so great for potty training efforts, but great for deterring the impulse to flash.

I think it is something they grow out of.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#5 of 13 Old 07-15-2011, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2grrls View Post

Have you asked him why he does it?  Could he need to use the toilet?  Is he hot?  Did he get some laughter the first time he did it?  Sometimes my son does things over again b/c someone laughed the first time.  Perhaps if this will be a phase, make it more difficult to get his pants off(belt, suspenders, overalls) so maybe you can stop him before he does it.

His reply was  "Because it was funny!" I found out later that other kids were encouraging him, but honestly he has done it so many times that I can't get upset at the other kids lol

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

#6 of 13 Old 07-15-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaecho View Post

His reply was  "Because it was funny!" I found out later that other kids were encouraging him, but honestly he has done it so many times that I can't get upset at the other kids lol

Yep, sounds to me like he needs a physical barrier between his impulse and his actions.  Some people are natural born court jesters and they just cannot resist the roar of laughter from the crowd.  Even one giggle gets them going.  I think you should try the prevention route.  It'll be a lot easier than explaining why it's not funny, especially if someone out there thinks it is.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#7 of 13 Old 07-15-2011, 11:30 PM

I agree with the physical barrier thing as well... If it's harder for him to do it, at least maybe you can catch it before it does actually occur....

Hahah... However, this will be one of those stories you look back at when he's getting grown and bringing ladies home and you can embarrass him with. :) It's funny to look back on it, but not so much when it's in the present. :)

Morgan. Single mama to DS (10/27/11) fambedsingle1.gif bfinfant.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

www.facebook.com/gnomegrowncreations

#8 of 13 Old 07-16-2011, 10:37 PM

Oh dear. You're just lucky that his father doesn't encourage him- DH takes our toilet training a bit too far I think and has 2 year old DD running around outside without anything on her bottom half the time. Just around the house, but still, if she were to drop trou in front of 100 people he'd probably cheer her on.

#9 of 13 Old 07-23-2011, 01:20 AM
Banned

you should guide your son

#10 of 13 Old 07-23-2011, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveangel View Post

you should guide your son

You mean I shouldn't be showing my lady bits around??? Dang.(???)
Flower of Bliss likes this.

#11 of 13 Old 07-23-2011, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

My dd went through a peeing in public stage that culminated in her grand finale when she stripped down and pooped in my boss's yard when she was three and a half just out of the blue.  Her grandparents laughed about her peeing in the yard like the puppies one time and it became a habit for quite a while.  Luckily my boss had a son who was a little older and had been through his embarrassing stage already.  I wanted to die right then and there but now I laugh about it. 

My dd also wants to be a comedian and she sometimes takes things too far.  It is hard to find a fine balance between encouraging a creative and wonderful gift to amuse and discouraging understandable but completely unacceptable behavior.  If this is something you don't want him doing anymore I suggest switching from explanations to a firm rule about where nudity is acceptable and where it is not.  If he can't follow that rule then take him home to where he can be as nude as he wants to be without getting any attention one way or the other for it.  I have found that when I explain things to my dd she often decides that it is a choice still and she decides to go for the cheap laugh.  When it is a behavior I absolutely don't want to see again (like pooping outside) I have to approach it with seriousness.  I have had the best success with briefly  and firmly saying the rule, giving the reason for the rule, then repeating the rule. 

#12 of 13 Old 07-23-2011, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that One_girl! That sounds like the exact situation I'm in. It's so hard with a funny/creative kid... but what you said makes sense.

#13 of 13 Old 07-23-2011, 07:50 PM

ROTFLMAO.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaecho View Post

You mean I shouldn't be showing my lady bits around??? Dang.(???)

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page