3 yo hitting self in head - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-03-2011, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

DS is 3 and mimics EVERYTHING he sees. The sillier/wilder/stupider the better.

He spent a week at day camp and now smacks himself in the head, hard. A lot. Sometimes he looks like Homer Simpson: <smack> "ow"<smack>"ow".... etc.

We really don't like the behavior for a number of reasons. His dad, however, gets super angry and threatens to end whatever fun they're doing (reading, playing, whatever) and send him to his room if he continues. Unfortunately, this seems to be a compulsion after only a few days. We are tired of telling him not to do it, but he doesn't stop. I ask why he does it, he "doesn't know."

My feeling is that this is another "wait it out" phase and the more attention it gets, the longer it will last. But DH will not accept that as a means to deal with it. (He also disagrees with my handling of the "monster" in the bedroom b/c it validates that there is actually a monster in there, but that's another thread that I'm not going to start....)

Advice? (Either to end the head-smacking behavior or convince DH to ignore it...)

#2 of 7 Old 08-03-2011, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

He cannot actually injure himself by smacking himself (as far as I am aware of), so I think it is one of those wait-it-out things. This is clearly a trigger for your DH, though, and he needs to deal with whatever feelings this behavior brings up for him.

Your DH might try to say, "That really bothers me, I don't want to see it so I am going to leave now." No threats, no anger, just respecting his own limits. 

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#3 of 7 Old 08-07-2011, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

DH does think he can injure himself. I'm with you, Nik. I just tell him that hitting hurts and we don't do it. To anyone. Or anything. I mean, if he's not allowed to hit our trees, why should his head be a target? I think he's starting to get it.

#4 of 7 Old 08-11-2011, 01:16 AM

You can also tell him that injuring his head will make him less smarter. Hehe. Kidding. Although, yeah, he could potentially injure himself. Maybe he's doing it to attract attention. The best way to get rid of the behavior is to ignore it.

#5 of 7 Old 08-11-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeFuentes View Post

You can also tell him that injuring his head will make him less smarter. Hehe. Kidding. Although, yeah, he could potentially injure himself. Maybe he's doing it to attract attention. The best way to get rid of the behavior is to ignore it.

I don't know. I think that the kind of force he would have use to hurt himself would be way too painful for him to inflict on himself, even if he were strong enough.

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#6 of 7 Old 08-11-2011, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

My main issue(s) with it are that 1. He looks like a moron. (I know, this is the nature of most little boys at one time or another, and many grown ones, but still....) and 2. This is not "his" behavior. He's copying other kids' negative behaviors whenever he sees them. Drives me crazy.

#7 of 7 Old 08-12-2011, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holothuroidea View Post

Quote:

I don't know. I think that the kind of force he would have use to hurt himself would be way too painful for him to inflict on himself, even if he were strong enough.

I fear that the kid might use some object or the wall instead of just his hands. :(

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page