time out...how's that working for you? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-18-2011, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was never a proponent of time out but I find myself using it as an alternative. what techniques do you find most effective?

#2 of 8 Old 08-18-2011, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Alternative to what? 

I used it occasionally with my kids, more as a way to dampen a fire than as a punishment.  In fact I can't say as I ever used it just to punish.  But if someone was riled up and I could see that the situation was only going to get hotter I would send that person to the bedroom. 

It worked sometimes, sometimes not. 

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#3 of 8 Old 08-18-2011, 09:09 PM

In our home it works to diffuse the situation. With my 4 yr old daughter it gives her a moment to calm down where she most likely would not if able to follow us and continue on with her tantrum. With my almost 2 yr old son it is only used when he hits as he is very aggressive and I'm not sure what else to do. We do teach gentle hands and he definitely understands, but he thinks aggressive behavior is funny/fun. So when he hits then he sits and then needs to apologize to the victim, usually his sister.

We use the bottom steps on our staircase as the timeout spot. I use it only as a last resort you are driving me crazy type of punishment, my husband sometimes uses it for things I might let slide. I think in our home it works mostly because we do not over-use it. My daughter knows that as soon as she calms down then she can get up. Lately she has been taking herself to her room when she is upset and then coming down later when she is calm, I love this:) As for my son he understands mommy is mad that he hit so he probably sees it more negatively though he spends half the time laughing and trying to run away lol. There is no set time for either of them, more of a time of reflection.

#4 of 8 Old 08-20-2011, 06:05 AM

Honestly, I think it's more for me than for her.  I send her to her room when I'm feeling really ticked off about something she's done and losing my grip on my patience.  I just need a few minutes to cool off so I don't scream and yell (I've done that a few times and I felt AWFUL).  Sometimes I just put myself in time-out in my own room instead, depending on the issue involved.  

Mama to DD (06/30/07).
#5 of 8 Old 08-20-2011, 12:05 PM

we do time-outs only when DD is super upset with something and needs some space from the situation, though usually it means sitting on the couch with one of us or being held by one of us, so I guess most would call it a time-in?

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#6 of 8 Old 08-20-2011, 01:07 PM

we do time outs w/ my 2y/o son by putting him in the corner or in his room if he is hitting/biting/things like that, like the other ladies said sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt

#7 of 8 Old 08-21-2011, 12:16 AM

We do our own version. I tell my daughter we need to take a break. We sit together on the sofa or on her bed and have a little chat about the situation. 'Have a little chat' and 'take a break' have become our code words. She knows it is serious and we devote some time to figuring out what is going on for each of us. We talk a lot in calmer moments about recent experiences we have had. She is only 4 and I think we have a remarkable relationship of mutual respect, trust, and understanding.

We have done one time out, still referred to as a break, alone in her room for 4 minutes after she hit and kicked me. I have non-negotiable rules around violence. She has not hit or kicked me since. It was not a pleasant experience for either of us. I much prefer our little chats :)

#8 of 8 Old 08-21-2011, 12:00 PM

It's so dependent on the age of the child and the situation.  I don't give timeouts as a one-size-fits-all punishment, but I will send my DD to calm down in her room if she is verbally or physically aggressive and can't be reasoned with.  I don't give timeouts to my DS because he's too young to understand.  If you look at the gentle discipline articles on this site you can find lots of great resources.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page