Gentle Discipline is failing me... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 11-01-2011, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS1 turned 3 last month, while he was always spirited it seemed to have gotten out of hand in the past couple months.

Temper Tandrums I know are normal and healthy in this age, but aggression toward parents? And how do you handle this? He has skipped naps more and more in the recent past, come 4 o'clock in the afteroon, it's witching hour. We want to leave the house for the park, he falls asleep as soon as we leave the garage. Shopping, errands - out of question. That sort of tells me he still needs his nap. I usually lie down with him if I can (DS is 21 months, sometimes their schedules conflict...), he starts kicking, screaming, hitting me.

I try to talk to him sternly, he yells in my face. My first instinct is to leave, but really, isn't that what he tries to acomplish? Time out's don't work for him, taking away priviledges don't seem to have any effect on him either. There is something about hitting a parent that just makes me cringe inside. There seem to be no boundaries as much as I try to set them, it's not sinking in. DH gas a demanding job, so it's mostly me that deals with this. At daycare there seem to be no issues. At any request to do something I get the same answer: I don't want to. If I press the issue, a melt Down is guaruanteed. Unless he does it from intrinsic motivation. Then he is quite agreeable and a joy to be around.

So, how do you set boundaries if as soon as you start talking you get yelled at: Stop it Mama. I don't want too.

I know he is only three, but it doesn't get better or easier from here if I can't get a handle on this. So my Motto to just chill out is failing me too :)

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 11-01-2011, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm right there with you.  My ds turns 3 in January, but he's always been a little bit ahead of the game when it comes to hitting developmental milestones, and he's driving me INSANE - I don't even like being around him some of the time, b/c I'm sure to get beat up on!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page