Good resources for highly spirited child? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-02-2011, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My niece is definitely what you would call a "highly spirited" 3 year old. Her parents differ a lot from us in all of their parenting approaches, and I know that some of their choices have made things a bit more difficult for them at this point. Examples of her behavior include typical 3 year old behaviors, but perhaps quite a bit more intense and extreme. She will bolt away from the parents and run off (has crossed a street in doing so), she throws a bit fit when she doesn't get what she wants, etc. These are normal behaviors, and I don't think she necessarily has any sensory disorder or anything, but they are indeed more extreme than I have witnessed in my own kids or friends' kids. At the preschool, she wouldn't  follow instructions and did her own thing. She was given a time out, and then was required to sit instead of going to recess. She tried to bite the caregiver.

Overall, she seems a little less developed than my friend's kids, either she hasn't been given the nurturing and opportunities for learning, or perhaps she is a bit slow (I suspect it is the lack of nurturing, though). This is sad to me.

She was basically asked to leave this highly rigid, structured "preschool" program (religious based), so the parents are kindof open to new ideas. (Luckily, they may be putting her into a good montessori instead) I am trying to compile a list of books/resources for them. So far I have come up with the following. Any other books I have missed?

Raising your Spirited Child, Mary Sheedy Kurcinka

Sleepless in America, Mary Sheedy Kurcinka (after all, a lot of it is sleep!)

Kids, Parents, and Power Struggles, Mary Sheedy Kurcinka

How to Talk So Kids Will Listen, Adele Faber

Redirecting Children's Behavior, Kathryn Kvols

The Explosive Child, Ross Greene

I never finished the Explosive Child, so I'm not sure how helpful it is. But, I really loved all of the other ones on that list. Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 11-02-2011, 01:48 PM

#3 of 4 Old 11-02-2011, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I totally agree. The behaviors are really just normal 3 yo behaviors, but probably have been met with anything but love and understanding. I'm thankful that the school "kicked her out" because the parents would have left her in that awful environment just because it was convenient. 

So, how do you non-offensively suggest to someone that they treat their child with more love and nurturing? 

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

#4 of 4 Old 11-04-2011, 09:57 AM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page