Feeling Lost, Frustrated and Guilty - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-20-2011, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my oldest child, that this is about is almost 2 1/2 the probelm that i am expieriencing right now is that when she is playing with her 15 month old sister or any one else's child, she will get really aggressive and pull  hair and dig at thier face really hard. The last time she did this and I couldn't stop her in time she make the 6 year old child she was playing with bleed. I have tried time outs but that has not been successful, I don't know how to get her to stop doing this, I feel so guilty because I feel like it is something I did wrong, and i feel horible because she hurt someone else's child. This kind of behavior is something that she has never seen or been exposed to I don't understand where she is getting it from. My husband and I don't always agree with each other but we don't scream and yell in front of them so I know that it isn't from that, and it's very rarely that we even do yell like that but, I'm just so lost because I don't know what to do. And Frustrated because I can't get her to stop :( any advice please?

#2 of 3 Old 12-20-2011, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hugs, this is tough but believe it or not this is pretty typical behavior at 2 1/2. It is definitely not something you did wrong. The best advice I have to be diligent and consistent. It is tricky with the sibling because it's not all that practical to sit with them every time they play together. Each time she goes to do it she needs to be firmly redirected. She will get frustrated with this and eventually put two and two together. Also see if you can pick up on any triggers. It will make it easier with sibling play because you may be able to hear something from the next room that lets you know it is coming.

I have been there. My oldest was asked to leave a preschool because of behavior like this (along with biting). The teachers were real inconsistent. Sometimes they even redirected my DS to something he loved to do so he learned to do be aggressive just to get his way. We found out it was an issue with the school after we found a new preschool for DS where everything was fine and there was a series of little boys at the old school asked to leave.

#3 of 3 Old 12-21-2011, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

thank you so much, i dont feel like a horrible mother now

Tags
Gentle Discipline

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page