Morning tantrums - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-29-2011, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need help. Lately, when I drop my son off at daycare, he is throwing a fit! He's only two and I understand this is common but maybe others can share their tips? I live very close to my daycare (1/2 block.) When we are leaving the house, generally I try to make sure there is nothing in his hands (because he gets mad when I pick him up to put him in the car seat and ends up throwing whatever object at the car next to us!) I don't want to offer candy or gum to calm him down. The last two mornings I've had to almost carry him in sideways due to kicking feet and arms. This morning, I offer to have him carry his sister's lunch box in to calm him down (I know, bad idea but I was desperate!) but just as suspected he got upset when I had to give it back to her. Then as I try to leave his daycare room he runs to the door and doesn't want me to leave. The daycare staff picks him up and lets me leave but I see him pulling their hair or hitting their face and hear him screaming as I walk all the way down the hallway. I know the number one tip everyone will give me is, just stay calm. But I need more than that. Tips please!
#2 of 7 Old 12-29-2011, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

I'd also like to add that I've been given the advice to just leave him when he is having a tantrum like that but it doesn't feel natural to me. I mean, I know I'm not suppose to linger when my child is fine for me to leave but just up and walking out when he is throwing a fit doens't seem right either.

#3 of 7 Old 12-29-2011, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

I'd also like to add that I've been given the advice to just leave him when he is having a tantrum like that but it doesn't feel natural to me. I mean, I know I'm not suppose to linger when my child is fine for me to leave but just up and walking out when he is throwing a fit doens't seem right either.

#4 of 7 Old 12-29-2011, 12:14 PM

Has he been at that day care for a short time? Or have there been any changes to the day care? Just wondering if maybe he is having a legitimate reaction to something going on there...

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

#5 of 7 Old 12-29-2011, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

No, he's been there for a while. The staff are all familiar with him. I do not see any new faces. The only thing I can think of is Christmas. We all get a little unorganized and our routines tend to slip during Christmas time. I've heard children can sense our anxiety and I'm alway a little off during Christmas time but who isn't? I'm going to try an experiment tomorrow morning. I'm going to allot enough time for a tantrum. I'm going to make sure that he has nothing in his hands. I'm going to make sure his sister has nothing in her hands to "temp" him and I'm going to walk in to daycare holding him and talk to him gently and make sure he is okay before we leave.

#6 of 7 Old 12-29-2011, 02:09 PM

#7 of 7 Old 12-29-2011, 02:13 PM

Tags
Gentle Discipline

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page