Help with transitions please!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-06-2012, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DS does great once we leave the house, but the transitions are SUPER hard. When its time to get dressed, I have to chase him around the house to get him dressed. Shoes/socks are the same way. Even when he wants to go. Staying home isn't an option all the time, and he really needs outdoor exercise to use up all his 3yo energy.

He's also super argumentative, highly social, and completely charming and wonderful to everyone other than me.

#2 of 3 Old 01-06-2012, 05:43 PM

We have a similar problem. DS needs to get out, but doesn't usually want to. I have found that if I just start doing things outside, he'll want to join me, get motivated to get dressed, get shoes one, etc. Like, for example, this morning I was taking out the recycling, and he wanted to help. Given how cold it is, he had to get clothes, shoes, and coat on, all of which he did very quickly and without any fuss. Of course, I'm not saying leave him inside and go by yourself outside, but come in and out, doing little "errands" outside, and he'll maybe want to follow you... Just a thought!

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

#3 of 3 Old 01-07-2012, 01:28 PM

Have you tried setting a timer? The timer works remarkably well for my kids. I set the timer for say 5 minutes and tell them "when the timer beeps, it'll be time to get dressed." That both gives them a warning (especially important for my daughter, who transitions slowly and reluctantly), and it makes a "neutral" party telling them it's time. We use the timer for all sorts of things (reminding me to start cooking dinner, reminding dh to leave) so that it's pretty much an equal opportunity reminder, not just one for kids.

Another thought is that this is a perfect time to invoke some playful techniques. Playing chase with mom is really really fun. So, use it to your advantage - "when you get your pants and shirt on, I'll chase you one time through the house." "when we get your socks and shoes on, I'll chase you out the door/to the car." That way he gets positive attention, but in a way that you can have a bit more control over.

I think my kids were about this age when I introduced them to the concept of "kid time" and "parent time". Some things can be done on "kid time" -- so if it takes us 30 minutes to walk to the park, oh well. Other things have to be done on "mommy time" -- getting ready to go to daycare (and now school), has to be done on our schedule, not theirs. I don't know how much they understood of this at age 3, but it did help give them a sense of power. They knew that sometimes they were in control. (Now that I think about it, I think we did this at age 4, when the power struggles were pretty big.)

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)

Tags
Gentle Discipline

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page