Support for dealing with the critics and naysayers in our extended family? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-10-2012, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

Im not sure an article or place of support (blog?) exists, but dh and I have been harshly criticized by extended family who believe we're harming our dc for practicing gentle parenting, homeschooling, natural health, etc...basically, every parenting decision we've ever made is being criticized and now that our dc are getting older, they are being criticized too.

​After explaining that we will not tolerate their interference, criticism, or attacks any longer they have decided that they do not want to be a part of our lives. Although I mostly feel this is a benefit, it's still painful to know that do not support us at all, to the point where they will not even try to have a relationship with our dc.

I've read Toxic In-Laws, and it certainly helped keep me from feeling guilty or responsible for the situation. However, now I'm looking for guidance on how to move forward with my family. My dh is very hurt, as am I, but it would help so much to read about others who've experienced and dealt with family criticism for doing many of the same things we value for our family.

Does anyone know of a good resource? 

TIA!

#2 of 2 Old 01-10-2012, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't have any resources; just wanted to commiserate a bit. I, too, have been sort of cut off by my only sibling, for my political views...but that's very closely related to parenting views if you know what I mean. How we view others, and our interpersonal relationships, extends from politics down to the family--through every aspect of life.

It hurts terribly. Our family is small enough to start with. We only have each other, and he so much as told me that it didn't really matter that I was his sister (because of my views).

Then again, I console myself by remembering the other "family" (of good friends) that I've accumulated along the way. Others who, like me, had separated from their families or their churches or whatever, sort of to follow their own individual paths. We all find each other and we build the families that will give us the support and unconditional love we need.

Tags
Gentle Discipline

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page