Books/articles on Gentle Guidance with Practical Application - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-22-2012, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would love some suggestions on GG literature. I did not grow up with anything close, and find myself so often saying "no no no..." In particular, I'm looking for scenarios, how tos, I know a lot is logic but I need some (gentle) guidance. wink1.gif
Also, I'm finding it so difficult to resist the auto pilot responses that I grew up with. Anyone have advice/suggestions/experience you could share?
Thank you for sharing.
#2 of 5 Old 01-25-2012, 11:07 PM

Hi there, my child is now 8,  but one of the first books I found really helpful  is called "Connection Parenting"  -Parenting through Connection instead of Coercion, Through Love instead of Fear.   by Pam Leo. There were examples and suggestions  in each chapter and she suggests that a  person have their own parenting journal when they are working through the book. I think at the end of each chapter there are questions, and ideas to reflect on.  I remember discussing this book with other friends who had little ones as well. 

#3 of 5 Old 01-26-2012, 09:43 AM

I'm currently reading "Kids, Parents, and Power Struggles" and it has lots of great tips about understanding how to connect rather than disconnect, it goes through a temperment exercise that discusses several personality traits, and what kids need to hear when they have those personality traits.

I'm LOVING it, it's really helping me figure out how to respond in ways that are productive and that connect me and my son rather than just make both of feel like crap.

#4 of 5 Old 02-02-2012, 07:22 PM

Parent Effectiveness Training by Dr. Tom Gordon is a great one.  Also How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk (by same author as kids, parents, etc. I think).  I picked up some great tips from Playful Parenting too.  

As far as resisting auto-pilot - I so know what you mean!  I find that when I've got a gentle parenting book going I'm using more mindful of how I'm parenting, so I try to just keep reading one after another, and re-reading good ones because i always come away with something new.  Another thing - when you do say something you wish you hadn't, stop and apologize to your LO.  I find that that brings it to my attention and later if I do it again they might remind me, lol.  HTH!

Genie, mama to T (4/02), I (10/04) and T (7/09)

#5 of 5 Old 02-03-2012, 02:13 AM

The books above are great 

I like books that focus on problem solving and teaching kids to think. Books by Ross Greene and Myrna Shure are my favourites complimeted by Alfie Kohn's unconditional parenting 

here is a collection of video clips of CPS - collaborative problem solving in action

http://tiny.cc/24kpn

I hope this helps,

Mary

Tags
Gentle Discipline

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page