Siblings Without Rivalry

Everyday Blessings

How children learn - Holt

A secure base - Bowlby

I had been thinking of one of these, but only if they give me new perspectives:

Connection Parenting - Pam Leo

Teaching your Own - Holt

Simplicity Parenting - Kim John Payne

Raising Our Children Raising Ourselves (but I had negative feedback on Naomi Aldort from another thread, so holding off on that)

Does anyone have any advice??  I'm particularly interested in homeschooling/child led non-schooling at the moment.  One of my children is gifted

#2 of 7 Old 02-13-2012, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Parent Effectiveness Training P.E.T. by Thomas Gordon and Hold On To Your Kids by Gordon Neufeld. Also see my website parenttrainingseattle.com for my website titled OPTIMAL PARENTING WITH PARENT EFFECTIVENESS TRAINING AND ATTACHMENT COACHING.

I give you the WHOLE PICTURE on "gentle Parenting." We can, also, call it Respectful Parenting. AND I am not promoting permisivness! You Are Invited!

#3 of 7 Old 02-14-2012, 06:17 AM

Hi,

I recommend books that focus on problem solving and collaborative problem solving cps  - see books by Ross Greene and Myrna Shure .I can problem solve , thinking child, thinking parent etc  check their web sites . Ross Greene's site  livesinthebalance.org   , thinkkid.org and AllanKatz-parentingislearning deal with cps. CPS was designed for kids with challenges but all kids and parents can benefit from getting better at collaborative problem solving 

Mary

#4 of 7 Old 02-23-2012, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I personally really like Naomi Aldort, but she is very radical to say the least. I just take a lot of what she says with a huge grain of salt, but find that it is worth ignoring the sometimes unrealistic advice she offers for the gems of insight she has. She has some great stuff to say about homeschooling / unschooling, and she also raised a gifted child. I personally prefer her audio CDs to her book, she has one that is all about homeschooling (it's got a yellow cover, I forget the name).

I also just ordered Hold On To Your Kids by Dr. Neufeld, it hasn't arrived yet so I can't say how it is, but it seems to me like it should be called "Attachment Parenting Beyond Infancy", which not a lot of books are offered about.

I found Discipline Without Distress by Judy Arnall to be full of practical tips for loving, respectful, non-punitive discipline for all ages.

Hope that helps!

ETA: I just looked up your reference to Naomi Aldort and I have to say: she addresses the whole PhD scandal on her website in great detail. You can choose whether or not to believe her, some do some do not. For me it is actually irrelevant because I look to her for parenting advice, not for her educational background, and if it is useful advice I don't really care if she lied about her credentials. To me it is credentials enough that she is a wise woman who raised three boys. As for her extremely high prices for consultations: well, it's over the top, to be certain. I actually had a consultation with her once, and it only needed 15 minutes and the advice she gave was worth every penny. Just my experience, but I would say if you're curious and drawn to her, just check out one of her audio CDs or her book. Worst case you don;t like it and move on.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#5 of 7 Old 02-28-2012, 07:06 PM

"Protecting the Gift" by Gavin DeBecker, author of "The Gift of Fear".  This isn't a discipline book at all, but I found that it has affected my outlook as a parent as much as Unconditional Parenting did.  It offers research based advice on how to detect and avoid abusive people, how to teach your kids to be safe and not paranoid, and how to trust your instincts when you know you have an issue with a situation but people around you are telling you that you are paranoid.

"Free Range Kids" is one I've been meaning to read, but once again, more parenting philosophy than discipline related.

#6 of 7 Old 02-29-2012, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

notes2.gif

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#7 of 7 Old 03-02-2012, 12:26 AM

how old are yor kids and how many do you have?

Trin with DH , DD(7)  and DS(5) ,  DD(2) ,
I am not regularly online at the moment due to the above ...

Tags
Gentle Discipline

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page