punishment or dealt with? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-27-2012, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My four year old behaved extremely badly at daycare today. It was dealt with well at the time, with an explanation of why it was bad and time out in the 'thinking spot'.

Do you think its appropriate to punish further when he gets home (ie restrict TV), or leave the issue alone as 'adequately dealt with' at the time'?

#2 of 4 Old 03-27-2012, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I think it's fine to let him know that you know what happened and that you don't approve of his behavior.  Other than that I think I would let it go.  I found that punishment at daycare and then coming home to more punishment made for worse behavior. 

#3 of 4 Old 03-27-2012, 11:51 PM

When our son was having hitting issues at daycare (trying to fit in/engage with the older boys when they joined his 3s class on the playground), our primary response was to let him know we were checking up on him and that we absolutely did not approve of hitting other people. Every day at drop off, we reviewed our expectations - no hitting. And every day when we picked him up, we made sure he saw us asking his teacher how the day went - was there any hitting? That later transitioned to (merely) asking DS ourselves if there was no hitting? And if we asked his teacher, would she say the same thing?

We *did* somewhat restrict TV, because he had started watching old Spiderman clips from Electric Company. While they seemed benign on the surface (no fighting visualized; action was simulated in comic book form), we decided they correlated too closely in time to the daycare hitting to continue them. So, we told him, "no more spiderman" and we let him know it was because he was hitting. He was also hitting during roughhousing with DH and couldn't seem to learn the "rules" about roughhousing, so we stopped the roughhousing game, again, letting him know that it was connected to his inability to control his body.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#4 of 4 Old 03-28-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

I think it's fine to let him know that you know what happened and that you don't approve of his behavior.  Other than that I think I would let it go.  I found that punishment at daycare and then coming home to more punishment made for worse behavior. 

ITA.

Tags
Gentle Discipline

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page