6yo misbehaving with friend- WWYD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-09-2012, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We live on a dead-end street with a lot of children and most days, I let our kids go play outside with everyone. Today, my 8yo dd came to me to say that 6yo ds and a 7yo neighbor boy were going down the street ringing people's doorbells and running away. I had 6yo ds come inside. A few minutes later, another mom came by to tell me that ds and his friend rang her doorbell and ran away. Shortly after, dd's friend told me that it was 6yo ds' friend's idea and ds was following him around.

What would you do?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 05-09-2012, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I remember doing that in my neighborhood with a friend when I was 7. One of my neighbors (who I really liked) got angry and yelled at us and I remember being really taken aback because I wasn't intentionally misbehaving. I just thought I was being silly. It hadn't dawned on me that what we were doing might actually upset someone.

If this is the first time, I would just talk with him and explain that it isn't okay to play that way. 

#3 of 3 Old 05-09-2012, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If this is the first time, I'd remind him of the rules before he goes out again, and then let it go.

If he does it again, then I'd bring him inside for a couple of hours. If it happens a third time, he'd have to wait until I was ready to go out and supervise him before he was allowed to play outside. I'd do that for a week or so and then see if he can earn back my trust.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page