I feel like all I say is NO! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-02-2012, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello,

I feel like I'm constantly saying no to my 3 yr old daughter.  No, don't do this....Don't do that...put that down please.  I just feel like I'm always negative with her!  I praise her as well, but I'd like to try to stop her behavior in some other way.  I can tell she is getting frustrated with me stopping her from doing things all the time and I think it is probably why she has stopped listening to me.  Any tips or books I could read?

Thank you!

#2 of 6 Old 07-03-2012, 08:31 PM

Playful Parenting is a good one.  

#3 of 6 Old 07-03-2012, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!  I'll give that one at try!

#4 of 6 Old 07-09-2012, 10:39 AM

I agree that Playful Parenting has a lot of good ideas and just a good outlook in general.  I don't know the situations you're talking about specifically, of course, but for a 3yo my idea is to try to have a few things set up to do, to keep her busy with and reduce the curiosity about the "no" things.  Put out a couple puzzles, a few new library books, playdough and cookie cutters.  Or, if you already feel like she's getting into a bunch of things that make you say "no" (and I totally know what you mean!) you can stop and reframe the whole thing, suggest a whole new activity -  let's put on a CD!, Or, should we take out the train tracks?...  Most 3 year old would go for this, I think.

#5 of 6 Old 07-17-2012, 11:21 PM

I agree with the reezley about suggesting a new activity. When my kids (DS is 3 and DD is 1) just. start. working. my. nerves. with screaming and "no" and DS's pre-tantrum toy flinging and spinning around like a tornado, I stand in the middle of the room and loudly go into the whole head-shoulders-knees-toes routine. By the time I get to my toes DS has usually stopped his "no" fest and has joined in. After doing this for four or five times and everyone's happy again, I'll pull out a new toy or a book and we move on. 

#6 of 6 Old 07-17-2012, 11:52 PM

Wow I could have written this post today. I feel like everything is such a struggle! My DD is only 2.5yo and is really asserting herself and engaging in independent play. But she says no to me constantly. Throws fits when she doesn't get her way etc. I had to put toys away because she started THROWING them at or around me! Crazy.

I second the activity stations and reframing. It's all about attitude. I noticed today I was very busy with work (freelancer/sahm) and when that happens I need her busy. So I start a pretend game. She loves her stuffed animals. So we cook for them, rock them to sleep, put them to bed. Works great usually. Mostly commiserating with you mama!

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page