How do you stop cursing ? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-23-2012, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 11-year-old has always been a very demanding and challenging child and he has pushed his boundaries all his life

But lately , the past 6 months or so , things have really stepped up for the worse !

He has always had problems with his older brother ( 14 years old ) , who has been teasing him and " torturing " him , since he was born ,

I have tried all different approaches , sending him to his room , withholding pocket money , forbidding computer use , you name it , but he just won´t stop .

And I think , my younger son is simply fed up with it ( which I can´t say , I blame him ) , but apart from getting physically violent with each other , which I don´t allow and break up as soon as it happens , he calls him names , that are unbelievable , some I´ve never even heard of before .

I won´t go into detail here , but they are the kind of stuff , one would expect in some slum , probably not even there ! 

How do I get him to stop , I´ve tried talking to him calmly when it was just him and I , punishing him , ...anything I could think of !

I´m really at my wits end , and I cannot take this kind of language anymore , especially since I have 3 younger kids , that I do not want to start picking up this kind of language .

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

#2 of 4 Old 07-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

This is a tough one.  My sister and I used to do this too, and eventually turned it into a game to make my mother horrified.  But we were both teens and had no younger siblings.

I think I might sit them both down and explain that in private, they can call each other whatever they like, but in front of the younger kids, they need to reign it in.  And explain why - younger kids repeating it at school and getting in trouble, getting you in trouble, etc. 

Then calmly remind them that the language they are using is for private discussions between them only if they bust it out again.  Sometimes, letting them get it out one way helps to give the whole situation a steam valve.

I don't have teens so - take all that with a grain of salt.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 4 Old 07-24-2012, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It´s not just foul language, they are so violent , it´s unreal ! And I really don´t have any idea , where it´s coming from !

Plus , it is not only cursing , you should HEAR the words , they throw at each other irked.gif

UN-BE-LIE-VA-BLE !

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

#4 of 4 Old 07-24-2012, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

That would be super hard.  Breaking up the physical fights is a good plan.  Beyond that, I don't know?  It sounds like a tough situation.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page