What is GD and any book recommendations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-21-2012, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Could someone give me an overview of what the term "Gentle Discipline" means in terms of the strategies used and avoided?

Also some book recommendations would be great. 

I have an almost 3 year old and until now we've been very laid back with her, no need for any discipline most of the time, and when we do it's just a case of explaining the WHY to her and finding something else for her to do. 

Now I feel she is testing things a bit more, which is great but I have the feeling I need to outline my strategy a bit more and agree on something with my husband for those moments when she completely ignores our request to stop doing something, even with an explanation and so on. 

I think we just need a consistent way of reacting so she knows. Some days if she doesn't listen, which isn't often (yet), I just give up...which is obviously a TERRIBLE strategy but I sometimes lose the energy and run out of ideas!

Your advice is greatly appreciated!

treehugger.gif

Natural Parenting Guidelines

Learn more about Natural Parenting, Holistic Pregnancy, Breastfeeding, Baby Wearing, Cosleeping, Non-Vaccination and Baby Led Feeding/Weaning.

Got something you're passionate about? Come write an article for us and link back to your blog! 

#2 of 5 Old 08-21-2012, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)

I haven't loved any of the super general books for your child's age but I can rattle off a few that you may find interesting and/or ones I've seen recommended frequently.

Here are ones that I either haven't loved or found that useful but that seem popular: 

• Playful Parenting
  • The Positive Discipline Series 
  • I think Dr. Sears has a discipline book, which I imagine is good, fairly general and targeted to younger kids 

One of my favorites for younger children is: 

• Becoming the Parent you Want to Be 

My all time favorites: 

• Unconditional Parenting 
  • Taking Children Seriously 
  • A general text book for Child Development 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#3 of 5 Old 08-21-2012, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)

Here is a big list of resources with some good descriptions: http://www.mothering.com/community/a/gentle-discipline-resources

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#4 of 5 Old 08-21-2012, 10:40 AM

For me - GD  are working with approaches= proactive + collaborative problem solving , rather than doing to = reactive + rewards, punishments , consequences . Limit setting is collaborative and not the parent alone. Difficulties and challenges are more about lagging skills and unmet concerns rather than wanting to test limits.

My favourites  - the how of GD  are books by Ross Greene - the CPS collaborative problem solving approach 

his site http://livesinthebalance.org 

Myrna Shure books - also on problem solving  I can problem solve 

Mindfulness for children - helps kids calm down , be attentive , self soothe 

Mary 

#5 of 5 Old 08-21-2012, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I will start to check these out :)

treehugger.gif

Natural Parenting Guidelines

Learn more about Natural Parenting, Holistic Pregnancy, Breastfeeding, Baby Wearing, Cosleeping, Non-Vaccination and Baby Led Feeding/Weaning.

Got something you're passionate about? Come write an article for us and link back to your blog! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page