My 3 1/2 year old wears me out!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-22-2012, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

does this sounds like 3 year old energy level or maybe he's ADHD like his daddy? Seriously..this kid has a TON of energy..and difficulty focusing. Let me show you a play by play:

morning: wake, play time, breakfast, more play time(sometimes running around or jumping into piles of blankets

Mid morning: playdate, errands, or park, pool, etc.

Afternoon: lunch, naptime(quiet time for him) for about 35-40 minutes, then another 20-30 or quiet time activity with me

play time & or chores with me

Late afternoon:After baby wakes, it's more energetic play...jumping on blankets, running around, tickle fight, pillow fight, outside running around or bike ride, another park outing maybe for a good solid hour

then I need the kids  to relax a bit while I start dinner..they last about 30 minutes..this is also the time that my son will finally sit down and work on something like a computer learning game or working on his preschool book. It's like he has to get out ALL of his energy before sitting down quietly and working on his book. He'll do book work or coloring for maybe 15-20 minutes, then be ready for something else.

Evening: dinner, which he can sit through finally

maybe another playtime, running around again!

bath, jammies, snack, snack, drink and then finally to bed. He's up for 13 1/2 to 14 hours straight with no nap..in bed by 9 and up by 7 usually.

The thought of sending him to preschool or anything frighens me. He needs so much energy to be released before he can sit down for a quiet activity, I can't imagine him being in school!! Should I enroll him in a sport or something to help out?

If he doesn't get this much energy out(and plenty of attention from me)every day he throws fits, hits his sister, refuses to listen to me, screams for no apparent reason, and is just a spaz. Sound normal for a 3 year old or does he have a lot of energy and should I keep my eye out for ADHD symptoms? He also has difficulty going to sleep and staying to sleep.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 08-22-2012, 06:03 PM

I don't know, it sounds pretty normal to me, but obviously it's very different when you're the one living with it!! Most of the preschoolers I know do spend most of their day running around. My own 3.5yo is different, less of a physical energy and more emotional/mental/crazy energy, but he definitely wears me out just the same. If I don't get him out of the house for looooong stretches of time, he destroys the house (literally - the house itself, like rips the trim off the door frame, breaks tables, knocks down our furniture, etc.)

How much time does he spend outside? It sounds like only an hour or two? I would try to get him outside for much longer, if you can. Running and playing outside for several hours is so much more satisfying, I think, than doing the exact same type of play indoors. He may just feel cooped up?

And I'm sure you've thought of sugar already but just in case, I'll mention it... Watch out for juice, flavored yogurt, jam, granola bars, cereals, etc. all the hidden sources of excess sugar. And if you do feel like his behavior is excessive/not totally normal, maybe try a food diary to see if there's any link to something he's eating. I'd also try to narrow down specifically what you are concerned about so you can more clearly communicate this to his doctor and any professionals you may want to consult. Running around a lot is normal for little kids but it sounds like you may have other concerns that (to me, at least) aren't really coming across clearly in your post.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#3 of 3 Old 08-22-2012, 06:03 PM

Also looking into sensory-seeking (sensory processing disorder).

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page