Bedtime Brawl - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-30-2012, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 5 year old daughter is a lovely child and I am a fairly decent mommy until bedtime.  After bedtime routine is done- potty, jammies, teeth, stories -she pops right out of bed.  If daddy is home she will go bother him or hang out with him.  If not she jumps on me, kicks me, crawls way under the covers, finds a flashlight to shine in my eyes etc.  When asked she says she is not tired.  We have given her the option to play quietly in her room if she cannot fall  asleep.  She rarely will do this.  So my daughter,who bedshares with me, escalates her behavior until I have to hold my hands up to protect myself from getting kicked in the head and this often ends in her getting hurt and me feeling like a bully and feeling really bad to get "physical" in this way with my daughter.  Often I then warn her that it's not okay to hurt mommy and that if it continues I will need to go to another room because I have a right to not be hurt.  So then she' banging on the door crying "mommy, mommy- I;'m scared I want you I'm sorry etc."  Obviously my way is not working but I am so tired at the end of the day all my patience and super mommy skills have left me.  Let me also say that 5 nights a week daddy works second shift and that my daughter and I go to bed at the same time (ensuring she will sleep later in the AM for daddy). When I am less tired I will rub her feet or back, put lullaby music one, tell a story in the dark or we count animals jumping the fence.  Even without the drama it sometimes takes up to 2 hours for her to fall asleep.  I just don't want to go on like this several nights a week.  I struggle with resentment because I am tired and want sleep.  I have started getting up late and being late to work.  Ugh!  I need to try something new.

#2 of 4 Old 08-30-2012, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)

Oh, this sounds a lot like us back in the day. Books on tape were so awesome for us -- DC started going to bed by herself around 5 years, with the help of listening to recorded books. Life saver!! 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#3 of 4 Old 09-01-2012, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for the reply IdentityCrisisMama.  We haven't used audio books in a while.  The best ones are the ones I can stand too!  Last night we put in The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe and she fell asleep like a dream- so thanks!

#4 of 4 Old 09-01-2012, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalball00 View Post

Thanks for the reply IdentityCrisisMama.  We haven't used audio books in a while.  The best ones are the ones I can stand too!  Last night we put in The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe and she fell asleep like a dream- so thanks!

Awesome!! They were just so wonderful for us at this age. I'm happy to hear it worked for your DC too. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page