Oppositional Defiance.Disorder??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-24-2012, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

I have a 6yo dd who has become tough to manage in the past two to four months or so.

I am thinking of taking her in for a mental health eval and just tonight came across ODD. I read the description and nearly cried because it described her to her every negative behavior.

I am wondering if anyone here has this happening and how your family has handled it.

It should be noted that she is a student at a Gifted & Talented school and I know that her level of intelligence is partially at play in her behavior due to boredom and needing to have constant brain stimulation.

Thanks in advance!

EDITED TO REMOVE CELL PHONE TYPOS

lady.gifLady to my Fellaheartbeat.gif fuzmalesling.gif, knit.gifMama to my Babies: babygirl.gifDD-10 (Hospital), babygirl.gifDD-7 (UC), babyboy.gifDS-4 (UC), babyboy.gifDS-newborn 9/2/12 (UC)

#2 of 3 Old 09-25-2012, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

What has changed in the past 2-4 mo?  Is she close to turning 7yo?  Because that's a doozy of an age (biologically and emotionally).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseisRose View Post

It should be noted that she is a student at a Gifted & Talented school and I know that her level of intelligence is partially at play in her behavior due to boredom and needing to have constant brain stimulation.

This is pretty big.  And ODD overlaps with a few other things (that also overlap with gifted kids).

Have you seen the SENG Institute site?  There are some good resources there.

Otherwise, the two books that were seriously most helpful for us were:

"Beyond Logic, Consequences and Control" by Forbes and Post

(this one is 1) aimed at the adoptive community; and 2) more about attachment than defiance... but reading the first 1/3 of the book helped us a LOT)

"Positive Discipline"  by Nelson

(this one seriously worked where every other behavior management book left me laughing at their suggestions as if my kid would be worried, let alone compliant, with most of what they suggested :/  But without demeaning or destroying their sense of self-worth and the idea that you love them--which completely rocked)

And in case you haven't considered it, for some kids, dietary intervention gets them to the point of manageable.  What to try really depends on the child's current diet and state of health... kwim?  But it's worth keeping in the back of your mind.

Tmaynard1 likes this.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#3 of 3 Old 09-26-2012, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have read that  you should not to argue with the child,  give in to the child, or react to their tantrums.  Since children with ODD are looking for your reaction, it's best not to reward their bad behavior...   try to be pretty stoic when it comes to outbursts and temper tantrums. 

In my case, this advice has helped.  My own child stops arguing and screaming pretty quickly when I become silent.  I'm available to him, but no longer engage in the conflict (trying to reason with him when he's having a temper tantrum never works anyway).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page