Mothering Forum banner

What's Your Toughest Parenting Challenge?

719 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  neonalee 
#1 ·
Hello! I was recently asked to do a parenting video about the challenges parents face. I know for me there are several and I thought I would go to the experts...all of you and see what your input is.

My challenges include:

Sleep avoidance at bedtime

Huge tantrums at the word no

Cranky/irritability when sleepy

Sibling discord

While I know that all of these are pretty normal for toddlers and early school-aged kiddos, I wanted to see what challenges you gals (and guys) face.

Thanks for your help! The information you share will help me make a video that is relevant and helpful for all parents.

I appreciate your input!

#2 ·
Sorry, this isn't what you're asking about, but my biggest challenge is to be the calm and reasonable mom I want to be. Instead of saying 'no' to my kids all the time I wish I had the presence of mind to say 'yes, but...' or 'later' or whatnot. When I'm having a good day it's amazing how well I can diffuse a cranky preschooler. I'm all patient and intuitive and effective. But most of the time I just repeat myself and cajole and demand sternly.

Otherwise, definitely, sleep was the biggest issue when my kids were littler. Well, it's still an issue for my daughter. Almost 18 y.o., "Go to bed already!" "Get out of be already!"

#3 ·
I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but the toughest challenge for me is parenting the kid I have (rather than the one I thought I'd have)... letting go of being the parent I wanted to be and just being the parent my child needs me to be.

But, as far as the surface stuff, I'd say getting him to go to sleep and stay asleep is challenge #1.

#4 ·
Along the same lines of the previous posters, my toughest challenge is sorting out my reactions to my daughter. My parents were abusive, so it's a constant challenge for me to evaluate whether my reactions to my daughter's behavior are reasonable or reactive (either unreasonably mad or unreasonably passive).

As far as the common challenges... hitting is probably my number one button-pusher.

#5 ·
Ladies, This information is exactly what I am looking for. Thank you for sharing! I know that for myself and most of the parents who come through my office doors, we talk about our parenting "blueprints." Basically, what were we taught about how to be a parent. Some of us get such conflicting messages from how we were raised versus how we want to raise our children. This can lead to unnecessary power struggles. Thanks again for your input.

Have a lovely day!

#6 ·
I am my toughest challenge. I lean very much towards CL/UP but a lot of times, and usually because of my own triggers which I'm working on, I fail to reach those goals.

Two issues of mine with kids are:

Whining

Fighting siblings: especially when they expect me to swoop in and make everybody happy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.