What's Your Toughest Parenting Challenge? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-02-2012, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello!  I was recently asked to do a parenting video about the challenges parents face.  I know for me there are several and I thought I would go to the experts...all of you and see what your input is. 

My challenges include:  

Sleep avoidance at bedtime

Huge tantrums at the word no

Cranky/irritability when sleepy

Sibling discord

While I know that all of these are pretty normal for toddlers and early school-aged kiddos, I wanted to see what challenges you gals (and guys) face.

Thanks for your help!  The information you share will help me make a video that is relevant and helpful for all parents.

I appreciate your input! 

Stacy G. York

Mother of 2 Kiddos, Wife, LCSW

www.bewhatsright.com

#2 of 8 Old 10-02-2012, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Sorry, this isn't what you're asking about, but my biggest challenge is to be the calm and reasonable mom I want to be.  Instead of saying 'no' to my kids all the time I wish I had the presence of mind to say 'yes, but...' or 'later' or whatnot.  When I'm having a good day it's amazing how well I can diffuse a cranky preschooler.  I'm all patient and intuitive and effective.  But most of the time I just repeat myself and cajole and demand sternly. 

Otherwise, definitely, sleep was the biggest issue when my kids were littler.  Well, it's still an issue for my daughter. Almost 18 y.o., "Go to bed already!" "Get out of be already!" 

cyclamen and Mittsy like this.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#3 of 8 Old 10-02-2012, 02:55 PM

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but the toughest challenge for me is parenting the kid I have (rather than the one I thought I'd have)... letting go of being the parent I wanted to be and just being the parent my child needs me to be.

But, as far as the surface stuff, I'd say getting him to go to sleep and stay asleep is challenge #1.
cyclamen and VocalMinority like this.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#4 of 8 Old 10-02-2012, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Along the same lines of the previous posters, my toughest challenge is sorting out my reactions to my daughter.  My parents were abusive, so it's a constant challenge for me to evaluate whether my reactions to my daughter's behavior are reasonable or reactive (either unreasonably mad or unreasonably passive). 

As far as the common challenges... hitting is probably my number one button-pusher. 

#5 of 8 Old 10-03-2012, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Ladies, This information is exactly what I am looking for. Thank you for sharing!  I know that for myself and most of the parents who come through my office doors, we talk about our parenting "blueprints." Basically, what were we taught about how to be a parent.  Some of us get such conflicting messages from how we were raised versus how we want to raise our children. This can lead to unnecessary power struggles.  Thanks again for your input.

Have a lovely day!

Stacy G. York

Mother of 2 Kiddos, Wife, LCSW

www.bewhatsright.com

#6 of 8 Old 10-05-2012, 09:07 AM

I am my toughest challenge. I lean very much towards CL/UP but a lot of times, and usually because of my own triggers which I'm working on, I fail to reach those goals.

Two issues of mine with kids are:

Whining

Fighting siblings: especially when they expect me to swoop in and make everybody happy

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

#7 of 8 Old 10-05-2012, 12:39 PM

sibling fighting

manners

anger management

talking respectfully to others

keeping hands and feet to self

cleaning up after self

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#8 of 8 Old 10-09-2012, 08:30 PM

I can't stop yelling. Hitting & throwing are my biggest triggers.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, please ignore typos!

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (14).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page