#1 of 8 Old 10-20-2012, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

#2 of 8 Old 10-22-2012, 12:45 PM

Maybe you could ask her not to put your child's name on the board, and instead you guys can come up with a simple way to make your  child accountable for his or her behavior.  It would help if you had some alternative ideas for her to use with your child.  

#3 of 8 Old 10-22-2012, 01:55 PM

I am a teacher and I do this, except I don't write names on the board as I feel is can be too much for a sensitive child to see their name up there. Also it gives some kids a certain 'notoriety' that i want to avoid. Instead I write it in a little book and usually all I have to do is pick up the book for them to stop talking. I also give them a chance to earn their name off. If they do stay in it is only for a very short time.

Basically, as a teacher, you have to have tools to manage a large group of chatty children. It's very different from what you would do as a parent. I would approach this very gently with the teacher. Maybe just say that your child is feeling embarrassed by having their name on the board and ask if there any other ways that chattiness can be addressed. Acknowledge that you understand the importance of your child learning not to speak out of turn. You are both on the same side. You want your child to have a successful and happy school experience. 

If you are a teacher you could tactfully share what you have done. If you are not a teacher, then tread carefully because if a parent phrased comments to me in the way that the OP was written, I would probably feel that they had some very high flying ideals but did not understand the day to day realities of working with a group of children. Just because I, or any teacher, use these methods, does not mean that we are not acknowledging good behaviour, building a relationship with the children and fostering a love of learning. I would be pretty insulted if anyone implied that was the case.

On the other hand, I have had parents speak to me about things like this is a tactful way and I have actually changed my way of doing things as I felt they had a good point. 

#4 of 8 Old 10-22-2012, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I.did bring up a concern about a card pulling system to my dd's teacher and while she didn't completely change it she did start allowing kids a chance to get back to green once they did their time. The kids all has cards and were responsible for moving them when told to. It isn't a great system but it is what is currently taught in teacher ed classes in my state and probably others also. Good luck!
#5 of 8 Old 10-24-2012, 05:21 AM

They use the red/yellow/green light system in my son's class.  Each child starts on green and certain unwanted behaviors can send them to yellow.  When at yellow they will have a few minutes to talk to the teacher about their behavior and regroup.  If they don't repeat the behavior in a certain time frame (I think it's 15 minutes) they go back to green.  It's incredibly rare for a child to get to red and if they do, they will be removed from the classroom for a short period to cool off - it's a usually pretty severe issue if they child goes to red.  This is an inclusion classroom so there are children in the class who may have impulse control and behavior issues (my son for one) so red is possible but the "threat" of it is enough to settle the kids down.

While it's visible to all, I don't feel it's shaming the children because the emphasis is on the positive (green).  Maybe they could do something that would emphasize the children who are doing the right thing more?

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
#6 of 8 Old 10-24-2012, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boot View Post

Basically, as a teacher, you have to have tools to manage a large group of chatty children. It's very different from what you would do as a parent.

I agree with this. Also, I don't think having their names on the board is very damaging, especially if us, as parents, foster self-esteem at home. Ds's teacher relies heavily on rewards and I hate to see him worried that he didn't do one thing or another and he is going to lose his points. But she needs some way to keep the kids focused and organized, and for kids who have been raised that way, this is what works.

However, I would have an issue with him missing recess, and I will talk to the teacher and / or the principal about it. Being able to burn off some energy, especially for an active child, would make life a lot easier for everyone involved.

Ds 9 and dd 5
#7 of 8 Old 10-24-2012, 11:21 AM

I agree with you, but I also agree with the other posters that teachers have to do what they can to manage a large, diverse group of young children, most of whom are probably living in homes where punishment is the norm.  My very sensitive daughter's classroom works the same way, and I know that if her name ever ends up on the board that she will be devastated.  However, I can't personally come up with a reasonable way for one adult to motivate 19 five and six year old children to move quickly through an intense, achievement-oriented curriculum, so I'm not going to address it.  My response for our situation is just to continue to try to get my family on board with homeschooling.  I think you have to tread carefully with these situations, and make sure it truly is a hill to die on for you, because you want your child's teacher to feel like you're on the same team.  An adversarial relationship with a teacher is going to make a miserable year for all of you.  You also may be surprised--some teachers hate the system they have to deal with just as much as the parents.  My daughter's teacher said she hates how hard she has to push the kids at this age, because she thinks it's awful to feel like a failure at age 5.  And she said she would have homeschooled her own children if she could have afforded to do so. 

#8 of 8 Old 10-24-2012, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page