Need help with crazy toddlers. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-20-2012, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a 2 year old (25 mo) son and a 3.5 year old nephew and they getting crazier everyday. Its testing my patience. Today has been the worst day. Today the 3 year old is misbehaving and lying straight to our face about it. 

When eating he knows not to feed the dogs his food, I saw him feed the dog. And I said, The food needs to be in the bowl or in your mouth, he said. "Ok I'll do that!" He fed the dog again (less than 1 min later). I said, "Are you feeding the dog?" he said, "No" I told him that I saw him and asked him, "Where does the food go" and he said, "In the bowl or in my mouth." I said ok, lets try again. He fed the dog AGAIN. I asked if he did, and again he said "No" I told him that he could eat outside (away from the dog) or he could be done. He chose to eat outside and that was the end of it. 

We talked about how lying makes me sad, and how we can't belive him if he lies. He said, Ok, I won't lie.

A little while later he took my phone and hid under the couch with it. He knows my phone is off limits, and did that anyway. I could hear him, but didn't know where he was, I asked, Do you have my phone and I heard a "No" from under the couch. I looked down there and he was trying to hide it. I took it away, and asked him why he lied, He said, "I'm sorry I lied" and I let it go at that. This is just some of what has happened today....

The 2 year old, is just being WILD. Hitting the 3 year old, the dog, me, throwing toys, smashing crayons, just being destructive. I try to give him time to run and jump and basiclaly have gross-motor skills pay everday and he had lots of it this morning. He ran around with his dad. We played outside, rode bikes, went on the slide, etc.... 

I try to explain to him that WHY he can't do these things, and from time to time that is enough. But most of the time he either laughs and keeps doing it, or I have to take away the toy, and he just starts doing the same thing to something else (throwing cars instead of crayons). At one point today I had to give them "time-outs" though I didn't call it that, and I almost NEVER do anything like that. The 2 year old dumped blueberries all over the floor and then both of them wanted to STOMP on them. I asked the if they would pick them up and they both said no. So I put them on oppisate ends of the couch and made them wait while I picked them all up and scrubbed the carpet. I then told them that from now on they can only eat at the table. This seemed to have some impact as they like having snacks around as they play. 

Any advice or even comsieration would help. These 2 aren't always together, but are a lot (half the week most of the tiem) So they are a little crazier together than they are on thier own. The biggest thing is the lying to my face with the 3 year old. 2 year olds being crazy is well.. pretty par for the course, but help on that would be nice to. 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#2 of 5 Old 10-21-2012, 02:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I don't have much advice but would suggest this

1. Stop setting the 3yo up to lie. If you saw him feed the dog, don't ask if he did it. You already know he did. Just go straight to the "food in bowl or mouth" reminder. Then, if he does it again go straight to the consequence - " you fed the dog so now you have to sit outside"

2. Throwing toys = toys getting removed. If possible let them go outside and throw balls or something but if they can't stop throwing the cars or crayons inside then the cars and crayons get put away and they can try again another day.

Sorry I don't have anything else. I'm sure other people will be on with some good ideas.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 5 Old 10-21-2012, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Unfotunatly we live in Portland and yesterday was VERY rainy, so by the time all the throwing was happening we were done outside. We did play in the rain and had a great time before that. 

#4 of 5 Old 10-22-2012, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
You are describing my life! I have boys the same ages and we're dealing with the same problems! I agree with not letting the 3yo lie by asking. It's the same as asking them "why did you do that?" it will get you no where but frustrated. I have also found that my boys tend to get each other wound up and when this happens or they get physical with each other I encourage them to "take a break from your brother and go play in your room" or something like that. Not a time out, but just separating them so they can have some quiet, solitary play. They tend to calm down fairly well after just a few minutes of this.

My 2yo is also the thrower of toys and when that happens I just calmly take them away and maybe say once "we treat our things nicely or they go away" and then try to play with him with another toy. I think the throwing is totally just attention seeking (Atleast with my DS) and I don't want to reward with negative attention so I try to keep lectures to a minimal.

I feel your pain! Its so hard to stay calm when it feels like you've got little demons running around. Know your not the only one with 2 out of control boys smile.gif hopefully its a stage that will soon pass for both of us.

Love my 3 boys! joy.gif
#5 of 5 Old 10-22-2012, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

The last two days have been MUCH better, so that is good! :) 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page