Biting my tongue until it bleeds...(venting) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-11-2012, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I work in a library and, in the way things are set up, my office looks through the teen area into the children's area.  The stairs and elevator to exit the building are right in front of me.  This means that I see a lot of crying kids each week because they don't want to leave the library.  I love that we've created such an awesome space for kids!

The parents though, oy.  We are obviously a very child friendly and child-centric place, crying doesn't bother us.  Being the kind of parent I am, and having 3 young boys, you are getting no judgement from me for having a kid who loves the library so much they don't want to leave.  But I just saw a mom haul her little guy (who was just regular crying, not even throwing a huge tantrum, even though that wouldn't change my opinion) to the bathroom and heard her spank him for crying.  They were in there a long time. :(  I hear multiple threats of spanking every day.  It bums me out so bad.

I almost posted something about this on facebook, but I'd have been raked over the coals.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 12-13-2012, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Oh my goodness. That is so sad!! "I'll teach you to HATE the library, you little $%^". People. I expect terrible parenting to come into the psych office, but it really bugs me to see it in the real world. I always found Kmart full of those types of things, for some reason.

Hang in there, awesome GL (Gentle Librarian).

#3 of 4 Old 12-13-2012, 11:36 PM

That has to be rough.  I've had to carry my kids out kicking and screaming under my arm before, but I have never spanked them b/c they wanted to stay and read books greensad.gif

obstruct livery vehicles

#4 of 4 Old 12-14-2012, 12:52 PM

That is just painfully sad.  Poor kid.  Don't show your emotions.  Don't dare want something I don't have in mind.  Jump when I say jump. Hitting people is how to solve your disagreements.  The list is endless.

What is good about this story is that there are other kids who love their local library as much as my eldest does.  And for the same reason it seems too - kind, family friendly staff and a welcoming, child friendly space full of books!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page