4 year old screaming is intolerable, help me tolerate! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 03-29-2013, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would highly recomend reading Raising Your Spirited Child by Mary Sheeda Kurcinka and How to Talk so Kids Will Listen and Listen so Kids will Talk by Adele Faber. You basically described my 4 year old!  We also cut out gluten and  this has helped.  Since putting those two books into action and changing his diet, I would say we've cut the screaming episodes down to about once every other day, and that is something my nerves can handle.  Much better than the 3-4 times a day that were happening.  Plus I was scared to leave the house because I was anxious about him having a meltdown like this in public and it's hard to care for my younger one while I'm trying to comfort my 4 year old and keeping him contained.  Good luck! 

#32 of 35 Old 03-30-2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieAnn172 View Post

I would highly recomend reading Raising Your Spirited Child by Mary Sheeda Kurcinka and How to Talk so Kids Will Listen and Listen so Kids will Talk by Adele Faber. You basically described my 4 year old!  We also cut out gluten and  this has helped.  Since putting those two books into action and changing his diet, I would say we've cut the screaming episodes down to about once every other day, and that is something my nerves can handle.  Much better than the 3-4 times a day that were happening.  Plus I was scared to leave the house because I was anxious about him having a meltdown like this in public and it's hard to care for my younger one while I'm trying to comfort my 4 year old and keeping him contained.  Good luck! 

I'm glad you found a way to address his needs, as well as your own!! And that is the point, by identifying underlying problems and correcting them, the parents also win! I wonder if a food-mood log or diary would uncover anything additional.
#33 of 35 Old 04-01-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieAnn172 View Post

I would highly recomend reading Raising Your Spirited Child by Mary Sheeda Kurcinka 

I also recommend this book. It worked great for my son. :)

Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

I blog at www.saboss.blogspot.com chicken3.gif

#34 of 35 Old 04-11-2013, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses! Very insightful.

As of the last week or so my 4yo has been sleeping about an hour later in the morning. The change in his behavior is remarkable. This morning he woke up at his old time, 5:30...ugh. We'll see how the day goes.

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
#35 of 35 Old 04-11-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe View Post

Thanks for all the responses! Very insightful.

As of the last week or so my 4yo has been sleeping about an hour later in the morning. The change in his behavior is remarkable. This morning he woke up at his old time, 5:30...ugh. We'll see how the day goes.

bigeyes.gifdizzy.gif

Oh, poor mama.  I am so sorry.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page