Please help...I am regularly losing my cool with my 2 year old - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 32 Old 06-01-2013, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just chiming in with the tv thing. When I was in my first trimester of my current pregnancy, thoroughly exhausted/nauseous/depressed/nonfunctional, I let my then 18 month old watch 3 hours a day. I'm not proud of that period BUT it allowed us to survive a particularly rough time. Once I started feeling better, I cut it back drastically and these days she sees about 1-2 hours a week. I still reach for it when I'm not myself emotionally and simply can't cope. It's a tool. As you start to feel better, you will cut back too. I think it would be wonderful if we all had lots of support and family we could always lean on but realistically sometimes you just have to get through a time and survive. This time won't define your relationship with your child and it won't be the overwhelming memory he will grow up with. It's a rough patch that will be replaced by more play and fun outings as things get better for you. hug.gif try and let go of the guilt since it won't help. Take time for yourself to heal. You're doing what you can and reaching out, being so open and honest is hard.
#32 of 32 Old 06-04-2013, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Redmom, 

You are doing such a wonderful job with your son, working so hard to help him get to sleep, and trying to do things differently to your own childhood. I think it's great that you are being so thoughtful to figure out what your triggers are, and what you can do to help overcome them. 

it really helps to talk things through, and get some kind and loving support. I read some interesting research that says that the ability to tell your own life story well, and to reflect on what happened is one of the things we can do in order to do things differently to our own parents, kind of laying the past to rest, and not being influenced by it anymore. It's not your fault that you get angry. 

Do you know Hand in Hand parenting? They have a really wonderful listening partnership scheme, which is where parents talk and exchange 'listening time' together, and this is a completely free way to release our feelings of stress and exhaustion before we take them out on our children. It has helped me so much, kind of like taking a big drink of energy and patience, so when I finish talking I'm able to parent with a lot of enthusiasm. I do it on the phone with other parents. 

Sleep deprivation has a lot to answer for!! There is an article on the Hand in Hand parenting website, about how to help children sleep through the night in a loving gentle way, http://www.handinhandparenting.org/news/49/64/Helping-Young-Children-Sleep

my daughter was like your son, waking every couple of hours, but now she sleeps through the night, and we still co-sleep as we both enjoy it (although its also possible to transfer your child to his own bed if that's what you prefer).

one thing that helped me a lot was to understand that children cry not just to get their needs met. Crying is also a healing process. Tears contain stress hormones like cortisol, and other toxins get released through the tears. If we are sure our child's immediate needs have been met (e.g hunger thirst warmth etc). then when they start crying it is okay not to distract them or try to fix things but just to listen. I always notice that if I stop and just hold my daughter as she cries, she's in a much better mood afterwards (which certainly helps me to be less triggered). If your son cries before sleep then you could try simply to hold him, look into his eyes, give him some attention (but not so much the things that stop the crying such as rocking or singing). This may help him relax, release his feelings and sleep better. You can also try this in the night when he wakes, and he will end up sleeping through the night. My daughter did in just a couple weeks. 

I hope this helps you! 

Tags
Gentle Discipline , Toddlers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page