Negotiator....advice? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-21-2013, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I've hit a bit of a road block with my three year old daughter. I think she's aspiring to be a lawyer smile.gif I'm wondering if any of you lovely parents can give me some insight on how to handle these situations that I often lose patience with.

My kiddos favorite word is "but". Here is a typical conversation. I'm choosing go to bed but she does it constantly throughout the day no matter what I say.

Me: "It's time for bed."
DD: "But I need a drink first."
Me: "ok let's get a drink. Now go to bed"
DD: "But my blanket is dirty!"
Me: "Honey I just washed it, it's clean. Go to bed."
DD: "But it's dark outside!"
Me: "that's when people sleep sweety...now go to bed."
DD: "But my walls are pink!"
Me: "Yes they are...go to bed..."
DD: "But bunny isn't tired!"
Me: "Bunny is very tired because its bedtime. Lets tuck her in...ok now go to sleep."
DD: "But the blanket isn't on her legs!!!"
Me: "Ok it's fixed...Im walking away now goodnight, love you.."
As Im shutting the door "But but but but......"

She will say any random thing to get me to get sidetracked. Same goes for meals, or leaving somewhere, or going potty, or ANYTHING I ask her to do! I am a peaceful parent, not a yeller, Im a good at empathizing...but good lord there is only so much I can take you know??? I lose my patience and end up regretting what I say and I think I hurt her feelings often because I will say something like Stop Talking or No More! Or You need to LISTEN! And sometimes Ill tell her she's being naughty and I can't deal with her right now greensad.gif she always throws her hands up crying, I just know there has to be a better way to handle this.

Anyway Im writing this pretty quick but hope you get the picture and can lend me some advice. I don't want to ignore her and have her think that I don't care about what she says but sometimes enough is enough!

Thanks in advance!!
Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 03-21-2013, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I should add that I also have a 19 month old son and am 4 months pregnant. My nerves run thin sometimes...ok ok OFTEN...
Julie
#3 of 3 Old 03-23-2013, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Bumping this up for you. This is SO my daughter. She has an argument for everything. I find if helpful to put the right words in her mouth. Sometimes she will actually just repeat "okay, Mommy," and it is an absolute miracle to hear those words.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page