The Sillies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-03-2013, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What do you do with the sillies?  You know- the too goofy to even look at mom, let alone listen to mom sillies?

DS1 is 6.  Ds2 is 4.  And the two of them together, lately, are trouble.  Make that Trouble.  I've heard the words fart, poop, pee and toot more in the past four days than I've yet heard in my entire life.  They are rarely destructive, but frequently messy, and tend to get silly (and here's the rub) when something needs to happen.  

And lately the sillies have become conspiratorial.  Meaning, what's silly is that they are whispering to each other what naughty thing to do when mom isn't looking.

These things really push my buttons.  Help?

Distraction is not the same thing as play.
Be part of the diaper free revolution. 

DS1, 6 years.  DS2, 4 years.  DS3, brand new!  (April 2012)

#2 of 3 Old 06-04-2013, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Waving to you from MT also :)  I'm in Central MT where are you? (PM me if you don't want to say publicly!)

Maybe more outside, physical play? Are they getting enough activity to work out those sillies? 

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#3 of 3 Old 06-05-2013, 04:33 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)

Yes, I agree with Momsteader in that some forms of prevention would be a big part of this for me. So, more exercise and opportunities for "big play". 

Also, I, personally would discuss language in terms of where some things are acceptable and where they aren't. When it's OK to joke about poop and stuff, I would leave alone. I think that takes some of the power out of it. Also, it's OK for kids to have their own silly sense of humor. 

I would also try to cultivate this weird "mom has psychic powers" thing. This is a bit devious, I suppose but...hey, they started it. ROTFLMAO.gif  

So, I would pretend that you don't hear them when they're making plans and then very calmly say something like, "I know you were planning on trying to sneak cookies when I went out to the garden. If you would like to do that, you will need to share one cookie. If you like the sneaking part, I will be in the garden in a few minutes. Have fun."  If they didn't follow the request about the one cookie I would say something like, "Sneaking and cookie privileges are for members of the family that are able to follow the rules about snacks." 

Also, I think I would incorporate some ignoring. And some requests to take some of the poop talk to another room. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif

Tags
Gentle Discipline , Child

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page