17 month old hitting while nursing... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-14-2013, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My DD has picked up the not so cute habit of wanting to hit me while nursing. She started off smacking my chest, I think she thinks the thud sound is funny. I always tell her "no hitting, pat pat pat" and direct her hand to pat instead. A few times now she has hit me in the face while I'm nursing her in bed, essentially still asleep, in the morning.  Talk about a rude awakening! I'll either redirect and if she doesn't stop then I latch her off and she usually runs off to play.  Any suggestions?

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 07-14-2013, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

We went through that, lots of hard hitting my chest (same deal, enjoyed the sound) and also started to swat at the dogs/cats around that age.  So I started to teach her how to do different things like petting, patting with a soft open hand, touching with one finger, anything to get her to understand "gentle".  When she hit either me or the animals I'd look concerned and tell her how she was hurting.  Sometimes she'd laugh, in which case she wold get put down or in her crib/pack-n-play if if was the animals.  Took about a month for it to sink in.  Now if she does something, even on accident, I point it out, we talk about being careful, watching around us, etc, and ask her to apologize and give a hug or kiss.  She's starting to now initiate the apology sequence on her own, even if it's just a light tap so there is light at the end of the tunnel!  Now she also was a biter at that age (or began to when tantruming) and I would put her down and let her be, and the biting hasn't been too much of an issue recently thank god.

#3 of 4 Old 07-15-2013, 05:40 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)

For me, a wordless response has been the most effective response to this sort of thing. What I do/would do is just put the baby down immediately after a hit or bite and leave the room for a second. Hitting is an interesting thing because I have observed that it starts off innocuously enough often - little taps for attention and then, "Hey, that works great..."  If there is some hitting or biting or other negative ways of getting attention going on, I also try to be more aware of giving extra attention when those behaviors aren't happening. Good luck! 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#4 of 4 Old 07-15-2013, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I did realize today that it seems to be an escalated response to me not being present and paying attention when nursing. If I'm all into the computer, etc, she will get rambunctious. She has a whole range of ways she now tries to get my attention while nursing, acrobatics, singing the alphabet, and now hitting.  I've always read while nursing and I guess she is letting me know she needs me to be present with her now.

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page